Ideal DIY mash and boil kettle size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
So to save costs I'm going for a DIY mash and boil kettle so I can have something to brew with now rather than wait who knows to save up. My question is, if I'm filling a 10L pressure barrel, and using a 15L FV to brew in and fill from, would a 19L ss pot suffice to turn into an electric kettle, as it'll be about twice the volume of my final wort?

Also, if anyone has done this, I can't find an element suitable for just fitting that doesn't require wiring and I have no idea how to set that part up. The weldless tap and thermometer seem easy enough.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1100
This doesn't require wiring. You just stick a kettle lead in the back of it.

It screws apart and you drill a hole through your pot. Then put the element on the inside, socket on the outside and screw them back together and it seals over the edge of your pot. That's how it worked for my plastic brew kettle. For steel, you may need extra o-rings because the pot can't deform when your screw the element back together. I'm sure someone will come on with more info for SS pots.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1100
This doesn't require wiring. You just stick a kettle lead in the back of it.

It screws apart and you drill a hole through your pot. Then put the element on the inside, socket on the outside and screw them back together and it seals over the edge of your pot. That's how it worked for my plastic brew kettle. For steel, you may need extra o-rings because the pot can't deform when your screw the element back together. I'm sure someone will come on with more info for SS pots.
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

I BIAB no sparge and a 10L batch usually requires 14.5L water to start with, mash volume of 16.3L (using 2.75kg grain).
Can't help with the element, I brew with bottled gas on a small stove which works for me and could be worth considering as an alternative.
Happy brewing !

I BIAB no sparge and a 10L batch usually requires 14.5L water to start with, mash volume of 16.3L (using 2.75kg grain).
Can't help with the element, I brew with bottled gas on a small stove which works for me and could be worth considering as an alternative.
Happy brewing !
I use the same set up and can concur with those figures

19L should be fine for you. I have a 30L kettle for 20-23L batches.
Great!
Happy brewing !
Unfortunately I don't have the space for a separate stove but I do have a gas oven so that might be an option, I just find electric more predictable, especially if I can plug it into my inkbird (which I didn't mention I had so you wouldn't have known).

Ok so after this, I realised the cost would more or less be the same as just getting something new, so I have just purchased the MM 25l electric mash and boil kettle with a BIAB! I couldn't get a large ss pot at a low enough price to compete that wasn't a complete compromise on quality, especially with the risk of damage.

Back