Exciting! Upgrading to HERMS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Due to some fortune circumstances, I got some extra money in my paycheck yesterday. Whohooo!

I did not have any luck convincing hubby that I should buy a Grainfather, but I did manage to convince him that it was worthy of spending it on my HERMS upgrades. I showed him all the sketches I had made (he works in architecture so he definitely appreciates the value of a good sketch!) and told him how the whole system works. He was sold and gave me a big hug for being a big ole geek. He then told me "I better start brewing a lot of beer to make it worth it". Yes, sir, I can do that! :lol:

Only problem is, he's not much of a beer drinker. (He's much more into wine). He likes a good Scottish Ale or a Porter, but he'll drink just 1 and be content for weeks on the beer front before he'll have another one. Guess I better start having some parties and passing out bottles to friends.

I've already ordered some bits and bobs. I've got the flexibility in my system to brew either electric or on gas for my HLT/Boiler, and I use a 40L converted coolbox for a mash tun, which I'm going to still use for now until I can squirrel away more cash. I'm going electric for the HERMS so that I can play with controllers! I'm going to use a seperate vessel as the heat exchanging system so that I can really fine tune the temperatures quickly. (Well hopefully).

I'm not going to have the most complicated system going at the moment, but it will be fun going to the next stage. I think with all things brewing, I like to go step by step to learn and hone and then upgrade and build as I go. Maybe it costs me more money in the long run to upgrade every time, but I like to walk before I can run.

Anyways, hopefully my various bits will be in within the next few weeks and I can upgrade the brewery soon!

Sounds like a fascinating set of circumstances to be able to upgrade. Really wanna hear how this pans out for you. And hey there are plenty of us (like me) that do beer mail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Due to some fortune circumstances, I got some extra money in my paycheck yesterday. Whohooo!

I did not have any luck convincing hubby that I should buy a Grainfather, but I did manage to convince him that it was worthy of spending it on my HERMS upgrades. I showed him all the sketches I had made (he works in architecture so he definitely appreciates the value of a good sketch!) and told him how the whole system works. He was sold and gave me a big hug for being a big ole geek. He then told me "I better start brewing a lot of beer to make it worth it". Yes, sir, I can do that! :lol:

Only problem is, he's not much of a beer drinker. (He's much more into wine). He likes a good Scottish Ale or a Porter, but he'll drink just 1 and be content for weeks on the beer front before he'll have another one. Guess I better start having some parties and passing out bottles to friends.

I've already ordered some bits and bobs. I've got the flexibility in my system to brew either electric or on gas for my HLT/Boiler, and I use a 40L converted coolbox for a mash tun, which I'm going to still use for now until I can squirrel away more cash. I'm going electric for the HERMS so that I can play with controllers! I'm going to use a seperate vessel as the heat exchanging system so that I can really fine tune the temperatures quickly. (Well hopefully).

I'm not going to have the most complicated system going at the moment, but it will be fun going to the next stage. I think with all things brewing, I like to go step by step to learn and hone and then upgrade and build as I go. Maybe it costs me more money in the long run to upgrade every time, but I like to walk before I can run.

Anyways, hopefully my various bits will be in within the next few weeks and I can upgrade the brewery soon!

I don't suppose you fancy a surrogate husband who will really appreciate your beer?

Latest posts

Back