Exmoor gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always brewed Exmoor gold using challenger, EKG and Styrian hops,( as per Graham wheeler)I've just looked on the Exmoor website and it says fuggles and no Styrian. Should I replace my Styrian addition with fuggles?

Breweries seem to change their recipes regularly. I was researching a local beer yesterday with an aim to brewing a clone (Goff's White Knight), some info I saved from 10 years ago says Challenger & Fuggles hops, I've got a bottle here and the label says Pilgrim, Fuggles & EKG.

I brew Exmoor Gold regularly and think the Styrians give that something special, plus I have lots of them because I grow them, but by all means try it with Fuggles if you fancy and report back.

The current batch I used fuggles instead of EKG as lhbs was out of EKG. Will try try fuggles instead of Styrian on next brew and see how it compares with previous brews. Am off to Somerset next week and will bring home some Exmoor gold for comparison purpose.

The current batch I used fuggles instead of EKG as lhbs was out of EKG. Will try try fuggles instead of Styrian on next brew and see how it compares with previous brews. Am off to Somerset next week and will bring home some Exmoor gold for comparison purpose.
Don't forget it will taste different from a bottle to on cask in a pub. I don't know about Exmoor Gold, but sometimes a different recipe is used for bottled beer.

Back