Extra salts or use Acid Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenSL

Reaction score
For my next brew I would like to hit the ideal mash pH (5.2-5.3) and compare the difference to my usual output.

I'm going to brew Mysterio's SNPA (http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=74
) which has become a bit of a goto brew for me. A nice simple hopped pale ale, easy to make and good value.

In the past I haven't worried too much about pH. I always add a tsp of gypsum and 2/3tsp Calcium Chloride just to up the Calcium content.

With my water profile this brings the mash pH to 5.6 (as verified with the estimates and pH strips).

To get to 5.2 I would need to add 15g/4tsp Gypsum and 10g/2.5tsp CaCl2 to the mash. This would take the output minerals to a very high level (see screengrab)!

My question is... with my water profile should I always be looking to add acid malt for any pale beers/lagers that I produce? I just haven't seen it used much other than to produce crisp lagers.

Thanks

water.jpg

water2.jpg

Sorry, for clarity ... the image on the left is the source water. The right image is the mineral content after salt additions. :grin:

Its better to lower mash ph with acid, lactic phosphoric, CRS etc. rather than adding more salts. I wouldn't be overly concerned however if my mash ph was 5.6, that's within the acceptable range (5.2-5.8).

5.6pH is acceptable but it is considered that 5.2-5.3 is ideal.

It's this experiment that has got me thinking:
http://www.hoptomology.com/2013/07/15/the-effect-of-ph-on-hop-character-the-results/

A significant difference for just 0.3 on the pH scale.

I think you need to be careful when assessing the validity of the claims in the article as they only appear to be based on this one person's opinion. I'm not saying isn't true, just that one person's subjective opinion of taste and flavour differences can be easily skewed.

I think you need to be careful when assessing the validity of the claims in the article as they only appear to be based on this one person's opinion. I'm not saying isn't true, just that one person's subjective opinion of taste and flavour differences can be easily skewed.

Thanks Simon. I was thinking the same. If it is a big issue then surely there would be more examples out there and it would be well documented.

It was interesting to see that the beers differed in appearance as well. With the higher pH being noticeably more hazy. High pH is known to affect protein solubility but I wouldn't expect that at 5.6pH.

Anyway, I have to see for myself :) I'll add some acidulated malt into my next batch and see if it makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back