Extract brewing shortcuts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott75

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just after some thoughts.

Typically an AG brewer using a GF and a kegerator, but having a 1 year old has basically put a stop to that. In the last 6mo I've tried kits, just to quickly keep the fridge stocked, but to be honest, they've been pretty poor and I'm getting fed up. Just so much twang after taste.

For years I brewed with DME and part grain recipes, and I was wondering whether I can do a corner-cutting version of that, which might be satisfactory.

Some thoughts I had:

1 - The temp for any grains isn't crucial right? Since they aren't releasing any sugars. I can just add them when roughly at the right temperature on the way up to boiling.

2 - Could I use half as much water then top it up at the end with cold cheap bottled spring water? Saving time.

3 - How crucial is it that the DME is added pre-boil? Both for hop flavouring, and for sterilisation purposes? I think I've seen recipes where they've basically boiled the hops in water, and then added the extract after. That would make cleaning a little easier I think.

4 - How much can I cut back on the boil time. 30 minute boil?

Any other clever ideas???

I'm not chasing perfection here, but rather looking for time and effort efficiencies for some extract recipes that I know and love.

I've done similar to your idea

1. I add the grains once the water comes up approaching mashing temps around 60C and remove them at around 75C i.e. approaching sparging temps.

2. Definitely. I think you could use a much smaller amount of water than the full volume, and liquor back after the boil. The hop extraction efficiency will potentially be affected but I don't think it would be anything drastic. You can also use the water to bring the temperatures down post boil if it's chilled prior. 60C and above is pasteurisation temp so if added right after the boil some degree of pasteurisation would still occur. You could also use dechlorinated tap water but possibly more risk of infection if the wort is below pasteurisation temperature.

3. I add about half the DME to the boil for hop extraction purposes. Never done the hop tea method so that may work as well. Worth an experiment! I add the rest of the DME in the last 5 mins to kill any potential contamination.

4. For pale ales I think a shorter 30 min boil is absolutely fine. Maybe even less. Done 30 minutes many a time with all grain and had good feedback on my brews. With DME the main reason for boiling is for the hops, you're not driving off DMS like you would after mashing all grain, so short boil is no issue.

All the best

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back