Extracting flavour till the wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank950

Reaction score
Made a ginger beer last month and added all the grated ginger till the wort ,what a nightmare trying to get it racked.So,was wondering this time if i were to boil the ginger to extract the flavour and then strain to the fv would this get all the flavour i need.
I have read that racking with the bits can be done with a syphon tube and muslin cloth wrapped around the end.i could try this also as i have this gear.Last time i just poured it through a muslin cloth fitted over a sieve and it took ages not to mention the sediment that was put through also.

sounds like it would work, I usually put my muslin on the other end - into the keg or bottling bucket. last thing i wanna do is fiddle around when the beer's open!

pre-boiling the ginger would work, although i'm not sure how much water you'd want to boil it in. I imagine at least a few litres, and you would need to add that to the boil unless you're topping up (or FV if you're doing kits.) certainly this would be the best way if you're a kit brewer.

otherwise, does your hop filter not get it out? at no point is it easy to pass your beer through muslin?

also, a tip. for a more upfront ginger aroma, boil some into the priming sugar solution :thumb:

RobWalker said:
sounds like it would work, I usually put my muslin on the other end - into the keg or bottling bucket. last thing i wanna do is fiddle around when the beer's open!

pre-boiling the ginger would work, although i'm not sure how much water you'd want to boil it in. I imagine at least a few litres, and you would need to add that to the boil unless you're topping up (or FV if you're doing kits.) certainly this would be the best way if you're a kit brewer.

otherwise, does your hop filter not get it out? at no point is it easy to pass your beer through muslin?

also, a tip. for a more upfront ginger aroma, boil some into the priming sugar solution :thumb:

I will try boiling it up and then tasting before i bottle.if needed i can add dry powdered ginger.

jonnymorris said:
Could you not put your ginger in a muslin bag and add that to your wort?

Yea i could do that..do i just put the grated ginger into the muslin bag and throw it into the wort or would it be best to try and suspend it in the mix up off the bottom..What if i boiled the gated ginger in the muslin bag and added the water to the wort prior to this?..

Latest posts

Back