Fairly urgent advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Planning a brew day tomorrow and have got a Amercian Ale (Wyeast) starter on the go. Thinking about another variant of APA or a monster IPA.

Ingredients I have in the store are :

Various grains, m/otter, chocolate, low colour chocolate, various crystals, torri wheat, roast barley and a little bit carraffa 3.

Hops I have is EKG, fuggles, n/brewer, challenger, cascade, stry gold and amarillo.

What would you guys suggest? I'd like a quite high gravity and a low colour.

Hit me! I'm off to bung the above in Beersmith and see what happens!

K

Right - thinking about this :

American IPA

Assuming 65% efficiency. Batch size 20L

Boil and Mash both 90 mins

6.5kg m/otter
0.45kg torrified wheat

50g Challenger @ 90 mins
15g N/brewer @ 60 mins
20g Progress @ 20 mins
20g Progress @ 10 mins
20g Progress @ 0 mins
Whirlfloc @ 15 mins

Looking at 20L @ 1.071 with a colour of 11.5 EBC and a bitterness of 57.5 IBU

What do you lot think?

K

For a classis APA I'd probably be keeping it simple and go with the Maris Otter and Cascade throughout.

So instead of doing an American IPA you reckon I should keep it simple and go for a big APA?

K

I was just looking up some of your ingredients and I agree with the above , pretty much .Maris Otter and maybe a little crystal for body . Most of what you list is pretty dark stuff for a PA . Hops Id stay off the fuggles and stick to cascade and maybe a little challenger . Reckons I ,

*edit* unless you are pretty confident with your hops and use the fuggles as a finisher like Snail says , that is ;)

snail59 said:
I don't know how big a brew length your set up is.

94% Pale Malt
6% Crystal Malt
50g Amarillo (90min)
20g Fuggles (15min + Irish Moss)

Cool - is that your own idea or a clone?

K

kev said:
snail59 said:
I don't know how big a brew length your set up is.

94% Pale Malt
6% Crystal Malt
50g Amarillo (90min)
20g Fuggles (15min + Irish Moss)

Cool - is that your own idea or a clone?

K

A bit of a mix and match. The grain bill is for a pale ale we brewed for the spring thing. I remember someone using 50g in an all Amarillo recipe and the Fuggles are there because I like them :D

Latest posts

Back