Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real innovation with Tesla is the supercharging network and the overall design of the car in the way they've packaged up the motors and battery meaning you have loads of space inside the car and loads of cubby holes for storage. But overall its a good car and I quite like it and still seems the be the best BEV out there at the moment...for now at least.
Interesting.

At the end of last year Hyundai/Kia announced a new platform for cars that fundamentally changed their layout by putting a smaller motor and regen system into each wheel, removing the need for all the stuff that transmits motion from the motor to the wheels: https://electrek.co/2023/11/29/hyun...i-wheel-drive-system-revolutionize-ev-design/

by putting a smaller motor and regen system into each wheel
You couldn't choose a worse place place a motor on a car I wonder how they will cope woth our potholes, salt in winter and rain every other day..

Last edited:
Interesting.

At the end of last year Hyundai/Kia announced a new platform for cars that fundamentally changed their layout by putting a smaller motor and regen system into each wheel, removing the need for all the stuff that transmits motion from the motor to the wheels: https://electrek.co/2023/11/29/hyun...i-wheel-drive-system-revolutionize-ev-design/
Now IF and I say IF they can make this commercially viable and durable this is game changer having the ability to alter the power and torque at each corner is an engineers dream to optimise drive and grip.
From a packing point of view huge potential but also massive handling benefits if done right.

This is true innovation, apply the same to batteries and EVs might just be perfect

It's only a concept at the moment, but shows how electrification can fundamentally change the layout of a car.

It has worked for donkeys years on trains I am not sure it will for cars.

A train gets power to the wheels through a variety of methods, depending on the type of train.
For diesel trains, power is generated by diesel engines which drive generators to produce electricity. This electricity then powers electric motors connected to the wheels.
For electric trains, power is supplied through overhead lines or a third rail, and this electricity powers electric motors connected to the wheels.
In both cases, the electric motors then drive the wheels, propelling the train forward

Last edited:
It has worked for donkeys years on trains I am not sure it will for cars.
A train gets power to the wheels through a variety of methods, depending on the type of train.
For diesel trains, power is generated by diesel engines which drive generators to produce electricity. This electricity then powers electric motors connected to the wheels.
For electric trains, power is supplied through overhead lines or a third rail, and this electricity powers electric motors connected to the wheels.
In both cases, the electric motors then drive the wheels, propelling the train forward
yes but trains have solid wheels that have huge weight pushing them down and do not have to deal with harsh road conditions.

But you are right in wheel motors are not new and should be commercially viable in time, my only concern is the increase in unsprung weight an engineering nightmare, ideally you want the unsprung weight to be as low as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but trains have solid wheels that have huge weight pushing them down and do not have to deal with harsh road conditions.

That's why i said i dont think it'll work on cars especially not on our roads that look like something from a warzone.

The biggest ripoff going-electric cars we do not have the infrastructure to install charging points as cables will require upgrading.Everytime you charge one the battery degrades.New vehicles have faulty cells as standard.Massive depreciation as soon as you drive it out the showroom.Be prepared for another Government U turn on the phasing out of petrol/diesel engined cars .
Check out the Porsche guy where he spent £120,000 on an electric Porsche and the dealer he bought it from wont even buy if back and he has been offered £30,000 for it 2.5 years later,so he has a huge negative equity in the vehicle!
And the heater packed up :(

Plus you cannot put them out when they catch fire !

Last edited:
The biggest ripoff going-electric cars we do not have the infrastructure to install charging points as cables will require upgrading.
I guess you haven't read the thread.

Plus you cannot put them out when they catch fire !

Edit to add - i didn't notice the quote above under the video which proves you haven't read the thread please do so before you make your next post if its going to be something that has been proved to be wrong and covered several times in the thread already.

A quick summary -

Only 15% of new cars sold in March in the UK were EV thre is no need to carpet bomb the country with public chargers.

70% of UK residents have off street parking so no need to use public (expensive) chargers unless they plan to do 200 - 300 miles a day .

The 30% who do not have off street parking are highly unlikely to buy an EV due to having nowhere to charge at the cheapest tariff so will carry on buying a new ICE car until 2035 or a second hand one until many years after when they become rare and expensive.

Look at the stats below the majority of us do not drive every day and the vast majority of those that do during week days commute so the car is sat doing nothing most of the day, they are not mobile phones they do not need topping up every time you stop, there is no issue with charging as EV become more popular more chargers will become available even Tesla are now allowing other brands to use their chargers this charger scaremongering has been dreamt up by the anti EV lot to try to persuade fence sitters its a bad move to buy one, there is plenty of evidence out there if people can be bothered to look.

As for the guy in the video my heart bleeds £87,000 (if google is correct) he should have bought a car that has good reviews and has a decent second hand market, his number plate sums it up :D

1714678549097.png

T

Last edited:
Admin
Yes i did read the thread actually-am i not allowed to express my opinion🤔
Where have i said you are not allowed to express your opinion, you may have read the thread but you obviously haven't taken anything in or you suffer from selevtive memory, your sweeping statement "Plus you cannot put them out when they catch fire" proves that!

Feel free to go through my post and tell me if you honestly think your statement "we do not have the infrastructure to install charging points as cables will require upgrading" is fact or fiction bearing in mind we are not all going to scrap our ICE cars next year and move to EV and 70% of us could charge from home if we did!

A quick summary -

Only 15% of new cars sold in March in the UK were EV thre is no need to carpet bomb the country with public chargers.

70% of UK residents have off street parking so no need to use public (expensive) chargers unless they plan to do 200 - 300 miles a day .

The 30% who do not have off street parking are highly unlikely to buy an EV due to having nowhere to charge at the cheapest tariff so will carry on buying a new ICE car until 2035 or a second hand one until many years after when they become rare and expensive.

Look at the stats below the majority of us do not drive every day and the vast majority of those that do during week days commute so the car is sat doing nothing most of the day, they are not mobile phones they do not need topping up every time you stop, there is no issue with charging as EV become more popular more chargers will become available even Tesla are now allowing other brands to use their chargers this charger scaremongering has been dreamt up by the anti EV lot to try to persuade fence sitters its a bad move to buy one, there is plenty of evidence out there if people can be bothered to look.

As for the guy in the video my heart bleeds £87,000 (if google is correct) he should have bought a car that has good reviews and has a decent second hand market, his number plate sums it up :D

1714678549097.png

I will stand by my comments that the infrastructure for charging ev’s will take forever in this country and it is also a proven fact that when an electric car catches fire it takes far longer to put the fire out than an ice equivalent. I also find your incredibly condescending arrogant attitude extremely rude-i do not suffer from a “selevtive memory”-so we can agree to disagree-and therefore you can now close my account as i no longer wish to belong to or support your forum.

Last edited:
Nobber - I mean nibber " but but but, I read it on Facebook and so it must be true, EVs are evil and retarded, all the oil companies say so. And now you are trying to force me to accept f-a-c-t-s and that makes me cry in to the doll I use to show the counsellor where a battery once touched me"

Chippy wasn't being condescending, but I damned well am

You are right, everyone has the right to an opinion. But everyone also has the right to openly ridicule those opinions if they are factually incorrect and full of ****.

I will stand by my comments that the infrastructure for charging ev’s will take forever in this country

As I clearly stated in my post there is no need to carpet bomb the county with chargers because 70% of us will charge at home and we have 11 years before new ice cars sales are banned and many years after that before we are all driving EV, by then we may have moved to Hydrogen or something else and there will be enough chargers for those that need them.

Latest posts

Back