Fermentation stalling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a weissbier. The OG was 1050 and the expected FG is 1012. After 2.5 days everything has slowed at it is currently at 1020. I know that this all seems perfectly normal at this stage, but I am nervous because my last brew got to 1020 and never got lower. I tried rousing the brew a few times to get it going, but that only served to making the beer go off as a result of exposing the beer to bacteria.

As I thought the last brew might be down to fluctuating fermenting temperatures, I bought a Ferminator, and this brew is now inside this at a regular 22C.

I know I may be a bit premature in worrying about this one stalling too, but I have been thinking about what I might be doing wrong in the process to make the fermentation stall. I have realised that I am not really stirring up the wort to introduce oxygen before pitching the yeast. If that was the problem, how would that manifest itself? Would the fermentation not start at all, or could it stall halfway through, like I experienced last time?

Re oxygenation just either stir the wort or let it drop from the Kettle to the FV is usually enough for beers that are not high ABV like yours. Higher ABV beers may need a good oxygenation to aid the yeast but normally the previous is good enough. You could add some yeast nutrient that may help but I would suggest you search the forum for "stuck ferments" as this has been discussed many times and you will find many good tips to help you. Good luck

I am currently fermenting a weissbier. The OG was 1050 and the expected FG is 1012. After 2.5 days everything has slowed at it is currently at 1020. I know that this all seems perfectly normal at this stage, but I am nervous because my last brew got to 1020 and never got lower. I tried rousing the brew a few times to get it going, but that only served to making the beer go off as a result of exposing the beer to bacteria.

As I thought the last brew might be down to fluctuating fermenting temperatures, I bought a Ferminator, and this brew is now inside this at a regular 22C.

I know I may be a bit premature in worrying about this one stalling too, but I have been thinking about what I might be doing wrong in the process to make the fermentation stall. I have realised that I am not really stirring up the wort to introduce oxygen before pitching the yeast. If that was the problem, how would that manifest itself? Would the fermentation not start at all, or could it stall halfway through, like I experienced last time?
Can you give more information about your process and the yeast you used.

Just for feedback, I was panicking too early. The beer got down to the correct FG, and has turned out to be a lovely beer, even after just 2 days in the bottle!

for what it's worth, I have found a number of brews using german yeast to have a strange 'stall' at the 1.020 stage. happens for me with 3068, and wlp029 my house fav the Schneider weisse yeast. but they all seem to kick it up and run to the fg after a day or so. its an odd quirk.

Back