Ferminator First Day Issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On issue that I have seen is that the fan doesn't automatically change from Level 3 when the desired temperature has been reached. It should stop and allow the Ferminator to cool down until it needs to heat again. It's a fault which Brewolution knows about and they will replace the control unit if

Are you saying that it should change fan speed ie. from 3 to 2 or 1 or just switch it off?

I’ve noticed on mine that it just powers down at desired temp and restarts when needed at the same speed setting.

Yeah I have a smaller thermowell that I didn't get around to installing due to lack of drill, for sure will have it on my next one. A little worried that I'll have to plug it in where the beer is, as opposed to the lid, as it won't reach all the way into the beer from the lid.

Can Brewoloution send back an updated unit that is programmed to change levels? That would be ideal, and ease my worries that my unit is not up to par. I'm in contact with them at the mo, but they are quite slow enough with the replies.
My fan stays at whatever level I place it at so interested to see what Brewolution say to you about replacement. Things I wish I'd known for ages...... 🙄

The fan just slows down from Level 3 to Level 1 once the temperature is reached. If it gets stuck at Level 3 then there could be an issue. But also, if it's ramping the heat up, the Ferminator can ignore any attempt to change the fan!

Having said that, I don't think about it anymore because I get great beers from it - much better than my old DIY InkBird fermentation fridge which it sits on top of, saving space and allowing me to do double batches.

The fan just slows down from Level 3 to Level 1 once the temperature is reached. If it gets stuck at Level 3 then there could be an issue. But also, if it's ramping the heat up, the Ferminator can ignore any attempt to change the fan!

That’s very interesting. I don’t recall the instructions mentioning this feature. Doesn’t seem to have affected my brews either. I currently have a Pilsner sitting in there at a steady 13.9C according to the Tilt in it. Even considering a second purchase, so I can get two brews going at once.

Well, an update. It seems to be going grand now, I reduced the amount of insulation over the probe and it stopped swinging so much. Now the stick on thermometer is reading about 19C, the probe reads 16.5C and the beer that I tap out comes in at 18C.

Final thoughts: the probe is reading a mix of air temp and fermenter temp now that the insulation is removed. It keeps a stable temperature inside the chamber which has a good, but not ideal, effect on the fermenter. I'll install a thermowell next time and hope for better fermenter temperature control.

As a review, I'd say the thing is grand, it gives some piece of mind now I'm satisfied it's keeping a stable temp. It's not the worst looking thing, certainly better looking than a glass or plastic carboy. I have it on the lowest level of fan now, and it's quiet enough, little bit louder than a PC running. Build quality is OK, at some stage I'm sure I'll break one of the walls but that will be a couple of years down the road.

Latest posts

Back