Festival Beer Belgian IPA struggling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link64

Reaction score
Hiya,

We started a festival beer kit on the 6th/7th (late in the evening) we've had it sat in the living room as that is currently the coolest part of the house, it has started to ferment but very -very- slowly, wondering if this is normal in the heat we've recently had, it got up to 26-27c a couple of days ago and I'm wondering if this has stunted or killed the yeast?

The airlock rarely ever bubbles and there arent any obvious leaks, the top of the bucket lid is constantly bulged outward so pressure is staying in there..

Is this a normal (very sedentry) level of activity or could something be going wrong? If so how do I rectify this?

Thanks

Andy

The airlock isn't necessarily a good indicator of fermentation activity, have you taken a gravity reading?

The airlock isn't necessarily a good indicator of fermentation activity, have you taken a gravity reading?

Not yet, I have the OG so I'll take a reading tonight when I get in from work to see if theres been any change.

Not sure why I hadnt thought about that myself to be honest. Thanks

26-27 won't kill a normal ale yeast. rehydration instructions usually say to rehydrate in water 30-35 degrees. Lager yeast does need lower temps though.

If you have a bulge in your lid that wasnt there before dont worry. I dont fuss with the beer after pitching the yeast as long as I have positive pressure I leave it alone for 2 weeks. All bar 2 of my 30+ beers have gone to an expected fg and those that didn't were sorted by, a bit of boiled water and yeast nutrient added to new packet of yeast at pitching temp.

Having said that the kit yeast could be shot. you don't know how well its been stored and it could be a bit short on viability.

If you have a bulge in your lid that wasnt there before dont worry. I dont fuss with the beer after pitching the yeast as long as I have positive pressure I leave it alone for 2 weeks. All bar 2 of my 30+ beers have gone to an expected fg and those that didn't were sorted by, a bit of boiled water and yeast nutrient added to new packet of yeast at pitching temp.

Having said that the kit yeast could be shot. you don't know how well its been stored and it could be a bit short on viability.

Thanks, I was thinking this myself.. I'll check the SG tonight and see where we stand, if it hasnt moved much I might buy a liquid yeast and add it in to kick start it.

Actually if the kit uses a proper Belgian yeast then 26/27° is a perfect temperature, so don't worry about that.

Just took a reading..
OG was 1062
SG today was 1022

So that makes it about 5.2% I think?

Seems it has been very busy... I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how its going.

Thanks all :)

Just took a reading..
OG was 1062
SG today was 1022

So that makes it about 5.2% I think?

Seems it has been very busy... I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how its going.

Thanks all :)

most belgian yeasts will get down to 1.010 even witbier yeast so that should get you about 6.8% - nice :thumb:

Back