Filling a whisky barrel with beer (pictures included)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swazi

Regular.
Reaction score
A friend and I decided to buy a whisky barrel and fill it with a nice tasty beer. The idea is to take a cornie or two out of the barrel every few months and refill the barrel with fresh beer. We'll keep the barrel topped up for as long as we can. In the end we decided to make a big belgian ale. We got +-80kg of dingemans malt from the Malt Miller and then set aside a day to brew all the beer.

Here are all the pictures...
IMG_0389.jpg

Both of our breweries set up and ready to go. 9am and it's friggin cold.
IMG_0399.jpg

Milling a lot of grain and feeling the cold.
IMG_0400.jpg

Ahem, the first of many problems, miscalculated the mash volume slightly...
IMG_0403.jpg

Sadly, only one of those has any beer in, we might make it through without getting ******
IMG_0405.jpg

at least the only working tap was pouring a lovely belgian blonde ale
IMG_0425.jpg

first batches boiling away nicely, things are going well so far
IMG_0427.jpg

it's getting dark now and we are in full flow still, also starting to get a bit ******...
IMG_0428.jpg

I'm swaying and shaking with cold taking a bad picture of another full mash tun
IMG_0429.jpg

****, we forgot the treacle. it's pretty sticky stuff and needs heating to get it out of the can
IMG_0431.jpg

it's getting late now and we are still going, eish...
IMG_0432.jpg

SWMBO comes outside and says something smells funny in the kitchen. We've melted a plug socket and an extension lead. You are now allowed to call us idiots...
IMG_0437.jpg

and there they are, all done at 1am. its been a long day and i've had enough
IMG_0441.jpg

it's alive!!! this is the next morning and we are officially worried about the carpet now. luckily we had a tarp handy and had put it down before hand. Not sure if it's water tight though...
IMG_0442.jpg

OMG... look what I found in the cupboard. How sad...
IMG_0457.jpg

(2 weeks later) the barrels need a frame so that we can fill cornies beneath them
IMG_0459.jpg

somebody takes PPE seriously when using a dremel to cut a little bolt
IMG_0461.jpg

beers waiting to be transferred to their new home
IMG_0462.jpg

some black, very strong alcohol that came in the barrel...
IMG_0465.jpg

Ah, starting to look finished
IMG_0470.jpg

full to the brim, nearly done
IMG_0474.jpg

Yay, finished. Lets hope we haven't wasted our time or money. I want this to taste good. The first cornie will be getting filled for Spring Thing...
IMG_0469.jpg

and finally, the cleaning that needs to be done...

What went into the barrel was a 1093 Belgian Dark Strong ale that tasted wonderful... You will have noticed that there are 2 barrels. I'm sharing one with Dave, the other is his alone. It's a big job but he is keen (& slightly mad)...

:pray: Swazi

that's the best post I've seen on here for a while :thumb: :thumb:

great barrels btw :cheers:

Swazi said:
A friend and I decided to buy a whisky barrel and fill it with a nice tasty beer. The idea is to take a cornie or two out of the barrel every few months and refill the barrel with fresh beer. We'll keep the barrel topped up for as long as we can. In the end we decided to make a big belgian ale. We got +-80kg of dingemans malt from the Malt Miller and then set aside a day to brew all the beer.

Reminds me of The Drawing of the Dark.. ..

How strong was the whisky??? Looks like it's stripping the paint off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

IMG_0462.jpg

Reminds me of the "Bless This House" film where Sid James makes some whisky in his shed and gives it to the missus to remove paint and varnish.. :D
BLESS THIS HOUSE

BB

Back