filtering wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah - it doesn`t taste carroty at all - just like a pleasent white wine - i used sultanas in the brew too and i`m really pleased with the finished stuff - reckon it will age well to!

OK - REALLY daft question here - just thinking out loud.

Can you use coffee filters to filter (say) a wine on it's first racking as a 'helping hand' to make sure you remove as much sediment as possible??

I'm a bugger for losing concentration and siphoning at least a bit of the bottom of the FV into the clean FV (that and I'm too tight fisted to waste what amounts to the best part of a litre or more of the bottom of the original FV)

Any thoughts?? :thumb:

No, coffee filters would take a very long time.

On first racking it doesn't matter if you carry over a bit of sediment, just try to leave behind as much as you can. Use a syphon tube with a U-bend or a little upturned plastic cup on the end, and as the level's dropping towards the bottom of the DJ, tilt the jar. You really shouldn't be losing any great volume, I would usually expect to top-up around 200ml.

Latest posts

Back