Finally!! First brewday of 2013 - Video added

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
Well, it's been a busy start to the year, but I've finally managed to find time to brew - YEA HA!!

So, after dusting off the gear and getting everything back in order, that's the mash finally on :mrgreen:

Edit -

took a while, but the brewday video has finally been cobbled together...

http://youtu.be/KzHENqQD1mQ

Feels good doesn't it :), I got my first one of the year tucked up in the FVs yesterday. I hadn't brewed since September.

Hope it turns out well, will you be posting a recipe etc.?

Cheers EB :cheers:

TheMumbler said:
Hope it turns out well, will you be posting a recipe etc.?

The beer is the Marston Moor Brewery - Brewers Pride from Marc Olloson's book - so I won't be putting the recipe up here as obviously it's copyrighted, but I can thoroughly recommend getting the book - it's a .pdf download, very cheap, and a really good book :thumb:

I have a hard copy somewhere. I actually had two at one point as I got given one when I collected a small corny from ebay. Started chatting with the vendor and he ended up giving me Dave Line's book and that one (which I already had). I think it was Vossy who recommended it to me, this was before Marc started selling the pdf.

Congrats BY.
I've got the download and am meaning to try his Orkney Island Brewery recipe...Dark Island.

Well, all done.

Bit of a disaster at the end of the sparge. Phone rang, got distracted, forgot to switch elements off - water dropped below elements - cue strong burning smell...

Despite it being a plastic boiler there was no damage to the plastic, but one of the elements died. Happily one survived and it was left to do all the work, so it took rather longer than normal to reach the boil, but normal service was resumed after that.

So it's a quick trip to Tesco tomorrow to get a new element.

Post mortem - The boiler wall is slightly misshapen just below the element, and it had melted into the wall by a small amount, creating a ridge of melted plastic below it.

I trimmed the ridge away, reversed the silicon seal (which has been turned a bit brown where it was in contact with the overheating element) and leak tested - all good - phew!

I bought a Tesco value kettle on the way home from work, whipped out the element, fitted that, but not playing ball, so the connector needed replaced too. Whipped that out of the kettle, got that all sorted, and attached it - and the new element is working - yee ha!

So, next brew will have two elements working away :cool:

Only question is.... for the sake of being thorough, will I replace the other element..... hmmmmmm.....

The brew doesn't look like it was harmed - it's bubbling away like a steam train :mrgreen:

I like your bottle filler you attach to the spigot? I take it that it's a valve at the bottom of the tubing which has to touch the bottom of the bottle in order to open and allow beer to flow into the bottle? Where do you get that part? I've kegged but never bottled, hence this question.

Just had a spare 10 mins and watched your video.
Thanks very much. It was great seeing another system in use.

I will try and record one of mine; I'll get the offspring to do it :grin:

Latest posts

Back