Finsbury Park Mosque

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats not communists, shepp, that's secular totalitarian leaders of every stripe. The church is a rival for power, so they undermine it. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Saddam, the Khmer Rouge... take your pick.

Its not religion that causes people to commit terror attacks/start wars/other horrific acts its ideologies which are sometimes based on religion or communism or something else.

Meh. I'm of the opinion that religion or ideology is just the justification. And this from a staunch Atheist! If they didn't want to hurt people then no amount of persuading could get them to do carry out an attack.

I suppose it is unlikely that once aware of their own thoughts these people think..right,it's mass murder for me! But,to convince them to do it through a religion or ideology they are either totally brain washed or had the volition to do it anyway.

Ive rattled on about it enough but I'm a Christian and if our pastor told me to murder someone he would get a swift kick in the ******** on the way out.
Amen 😇

My point precisely. Religion is a powerful tool that can be used to persuade people to do bad... but that person has to be susceptible to persuasion. There are literally millions of devoutly religious people who would never even consider mass murder. And yet, when a religious person does choose to do so, it must be purely because their religious book has some verses that can be interpreted as justification for doing so? Sorry, that doesn't add up. These people obviously have something (or lack something) that all the other people with access to that book do not. It's only logical.

......... because their religious book has some verses that can be interpreted as justification for doing so? .........

The Bible has everything from ...
".. an eye for an eye ..."​
to
"... turn the other cheek ..."​
... so it too is open to interpretation.

Sounds daft, but two significant events in history was the invention of the printing press and the increase in education.

The people were able to read the teachings of their own particular religion and also understand and analyse the teachings of their own leader.

This resulted in the fragmentation of a number of religions as people realised that what they were being taught was NOT what they were reading.

Unfortunately, people still interpreted the teaching to match their own views and so we finish up with today's world where the tolerance of others is seen as weakness; whereas tolerance of others is actually a fundamental teaching of EVERY religion.

...visions of Father Ted...kicking bishop Brennan up the ****!

I'm afraid it's more like this

IMG_0601.JPG

Hi Dutto,

That's why I was careful to speak of religions in my post and not specifically Islam. The Bible, Qur'an, and Torah are all at least as bad as each other when it comes to verses which encourage violence, and none of the three have a monopoly on religious violence by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, they all also contain verses which encourage peaceful, moral actions. Hence my position: there is more to the problem of religious terrorism than religion in and of itself. There are very obviously other factors at play here.

For example, look at the Lord's Resistance Army. They're a fairly horrible Christian terrorist and paramilitary group operating in Uganda, the DRC, and South Sudan. They aim to establish a Christian theocracy in Uganda. They are known to forcibly convert people, they have murdered, abducted, tortured, and raped people, they use child soldiers, and advocate a literalist interpretation of "biblical marriage" which is in practice child sex slavery. All their positions can, with suitably creative (or entirely literalist, as the occasion demands) interpretation be justified with biblical scripture. Yet the majority of Christians I know would be horrified by their actions.

People like to think that personal morality is informed by religion, when it seems to me that it's the other way round: people interpretate their religion in a way that suits their personal morality.

Hi Dutto,

That's why I was careful to speak of religions in my post and not specifically Islam. The Bible, Qur'an, and Torah are all at least as bad as each other when it comes to verses which encourage violence, and none of the three have a monopoly on religious violence by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, they all also contain verses which encourage peaceful, moral actions. Hence my position: there is more to the problem of religious terrorism than religion in and of itself. There are very obviously other factors at play here.

For example, look at the Lord's Resistance Army. They're a fairly horrible Christian terrorist and paramilitary group operating in Uganda, the DRC, and South Sudan. They aim to establish a Christian theocracy in Uganda. They are known to forcibly convert people, they have murdered, abducted, tortured, and raped people, they use child soldiers, and advocate a literalist interpretation of "biblical marriage" which is in practice child sex slavery. All their positions can, with suitably creative (or entirely literalist, as the occasion demands) interpretation be justified with biblical scripture. Yet the majority of Christians I know would be horrified by their actions.

People like to think that personal morality is informed by religion, when it seems to me that it's the other way round: people interpretate their religion in a way that suits their personal morality.

Drop in the ocean compared to radical Islam.

Religion lol. I think all the Gods should manifest themselves, have a punch-up and the last one standing wins. One religion to rule the world if that's your bag. Might as well seeing as we're heading for globalisation anyway.

Drop in the ocean compared to radical Islam.

I wasn't aware this was a competition. The same point could also be made using Boko Haram, who operate in a similar fashion, not too far away from LRA. Take your pick.

I wasn't aware this was a competition.

It isn't, but I find it a bit of a joke how people do moral acrobatics trying to make out that all religions are as bad or as good as one another.

But I do agree -

'People like to think that personal morality is informed by religion, when it seems to me that it's the other way round: people interpretate their religion in a way that suits their personal morality.'

Because judging by what we know about a certain prophet, people who consider him the 'perfect man' are on the whole still good people.

I could go a lot further, but if I do then terrym will just get the thread shut down.

Latest posts

Back