first brew bulldog four finger jack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swayney91

Reaction score
First ever home brew all the kit was deliverdelivered yesterday. No time was wasted and it was brewed last night. For my first attempt I hope it's gone ok I was thinking about transferring to a second fv to clear for a few days. Then using the hop teabag a day before bottling. Does this sound ok? Dont want to ruin my first brew.
Rob

First ever home brew all the kit was deliverdelivered yesterday. No time was wasted and it was brewed last night. For my first attempt I hope it's gone ok I was thinking about transferring to a second fv to clear for a few days. Then using the hop teabag a day before bottling. Does this sound ok? Dont want to ruin my first brew.
Rob

Hey Swayney91,

Congrats on your first brew!

Transferring to a secondary FV is a good technique, although not everyone bothers. The main reason for doing so is so that your beer is not sitting on the yeast bed for too long. It could (its debatable) produce a yeasty taste to your beer if its sat on there too long. The disadvantage to this is you'll disturb the CO2 blanket on top of your beer, which is keeping any nasty bugs from getting into your beer and spoiling it. When you do come to transfer take care to disinfect everything like you did when you started.

Dry hopping will add that lovely hoppy aroma to your beer. If you love that fresh hoppy smell you get with IPA's then dry hopping is the way to go for you. It wont add any extra bitterness to your beer, but do not leave your hops in your beer to too long and it can result in a grassy flavour - a day before bottling is perfect.

Let us know how it goes :drink:

Thanks for the tips can't wait to try it thinking of leaving it fin the 1st fv for 10 days 2nd for 5 then bottle

If it's any help I'm doing this one at present. Started last Wednesday and still bubbling frequently now, so possibly your 10 days might not be quite enough for it to finish fermenting.

I transfer to a second FV, but only for ease of batch priming and bottling. So far I've not notice any yeast taint in any of the brews I've done (this is #37), so I'm quite happy to leave it in the primary FV until I want to bottle it.

If it's any help I'm doing this one at present. Started last Wednesday and still bubbling frequently now, so possibly your 10 days might not be quite enough for it to finish fermenting.

I transfer to a second FV, but only for ease of batch priming and bottling. So far I've not notice any yeast taint in any of the brews I've done (this is #37), so I'm quite happy to leave it in the primary FV until I want to bottle it.

Would it affect it if I put it in the second after 10 days when it's still fermenting or should I leave it to ferment out fully? Let me no how long it takes for it to slow down.

I don't suppose it will hurt. At least if it's still fermenting a little you'll get a layer of CO2 over the top to seal it while finishes its work (which is why I prefer to leave it in the first FV until bottling time - less risk of exposure to air).

Latest posts

Back