First Brew Musings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadMurderer

Meat Popsicle
Reaction score
So I carried out my first part special grain part extract brew. And it didn't go according to plan, nut being my first attempt I grudgingly accepted this. Now I had everything planned (Beer Brewing Battle Plan it was titled), a 2 page step-by-step guide on the day process. It was to be a well oiled machine. The plan was solid.

But... I never factored in the possibility... of not being able to reach a boil.

This almost feels like a confession!

So I was using an electric hob for my 21L brew pot - looking back now why did I expect it to work?! Anyway, point and laugh as you will, my questions are:

- I continued the process (with a 80+c heat) as if it was working (following the plan) - I understand that one of the main reasons you need a boil is for the hops to release their oils and basically do what they were added there to do - is this the case?

- What other benefits am I missing due to the no-boil?

- I also ended up with a 15L brew instead of the 18L brew as intended (my mashing efficiency clearly SHOCKING) - what will be the outcome of this?

The yeast was happily bubbling away at least so I'm interested in seeing the outcome of this... I was making a stout by the way. I now realise I need a boiler - any recommendations welcome.

Cheers,
Dan

It's mad you didn't reach a boil, I use a 19 litre pot and granted its 2 litres smaller but it reaches a boil naebother

That's what I thought! It was on full whack for a few hours - nothing. And that's me topping it up to get the right volume with boiled water from the kettle. Slightly frustrating let me tell you...

Yup it can definitely reach a boil with smaller pans - maybe my shiny new brew pot is the culprit.... I'm not sure now! Either way I'm getting a separate boiler bucket.

Aye! I think the hob just isn't powerful enough to heat that much volume, could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.

Is your pan made of very thin steel? I had the same problem with the pans I bought from ebay. I struggled to get 14L to the boil in my 19L pan, and this was using a 3.5kW "wok burner" gas ring.

I put it down to the thin steel radiating the heat away - in the end I went with an electric boiler.

I think some pots don't work very well on electric hobs because the bottom isn't flat and so not much is in contact with the hob. It isn't a problem with gas as the flames don't care what shape the metal is. Also, if the pot was ever used with gas it may not work very well with an electric hob, due to the shape of the base.

I ordered the pot from Bergland (sp?) and it seems real nice, but I'm no expert. I think it is a combo of pot/hob - I have bought all the stuff required to convert it to a boiler, this will be a test before I get a big brew pot. Cheers for the replies though folks! :thumb:

Back