First brew snafu or rescue available ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsidford

Reaction score
Hello

I have just decided to step back into home brewing after 20 years break and have gone and done a very silly thing to my first brew.

I have a Norfolk Wherry going and I kicked it off four days ago and it all seems to be going well, with a lovely smell coming from it today, when I looked at the side of the bucket and though ... that doesn't look like 40 pints in there.

I have gone and and topped it up to 23 liters, but being a bit blond, I actually topped it up to 23 pints.

Now is all lost ? can the missing water be added ? do I write it off to a Holmer Simpson moment or is there hope yet ?

Cheers

Guy

Add the water give it a good stir and see if it starts fermenting again check the gravity then check again in a few days to see if its dropping

If you haven't topped up yet it might be worth leaving it a few pints short, e.g. make it up to 35 pints. I brewed one of these, thought it was a bit watery and it only came out to 3.8% abv.

Moley's idea has a lot of merit!
The Wherry does come out at 3.8%, but is quite sweet.
Shortening the length will make it even sweeter.
My thoughts are to back liquor to 40 pints+ and add a lb of demerara sugar.
This will increase your abv to about 4.8% and make it slightly drier.
Won't do anything for the "thiness" though.

evanvine said:
The Wherry does come out at 3.8%, but is quite sweet.
Shortening the length will make it even sweeter.
Slightly sweeter.
Valid point, mine finished at 1.014 but it is fairly bitter and that masks the sweetness to an extent.

I hadn't tried a premium kit so it was worth a go, but I won't be brewing another.

Thanks for your comments, I did add the missing water and the yeast look to be nicely active. I will watch and eagerly await the results!

Cheers

Bubbled along merrily and stopped at 1016. After a few days of not seeing any change I have put it in the keg, primed it and it will be moving into the garage tomorrow. Lovely smell from it when I transferred it, so the hard part now, the waiting !

Cheers

Guy

Well the proof is in the drinking and I have now tapped the keg and been very presently surprised by the results with the Wherry, much better than I expected and a very successful first brew.

Now some drinking to do before I can try something different :cheers:

gsidford said:
Well the proof is in the drinking and I have now tapped the keg and been very presently surprised by the results with the Wherry, much better than I expected and a very successful first brew.

Now some drinking to do before I can try something different :cheers:

So gsidford, what was you next brew?

corby_brewer said:
So gsidford, what was you next brew?

I have a Munton's Premium Gold Smugglers Ale which went into the cask on Sunday and the first sample of that is very promising. Additionally I have bottled up 5 gallons of the Alcoholic Ginger Beer which has just gone into it's bottles as well. So there is a enjoyable time to have coming up.

Somehow I didn't quite realise how addictive this game can be. A bit more experience with kits and then I think I might try to delve a bit more into the dark arts.

Guy

gsidford said:
Somehow I didn't quite realise how addictive this game can be. A bit more experience with kits and then I think I might try to delve a bit more into the dark arts.
:lol: Gotcha! :twisted:

I came back about 15 months ago after many years away, just thought I'd brew a couple of kit beers and see where it took me, and then I though I may as well try a couple of wines, and then I fell in with this lot, and now I'm as bad as the rest of them. :whistle:

You have to watch these guys the'll have you AG brewing before you know it .I joined the forum late last year and by feb was doing my first AG it was magic although i say so myself :cheers:
Try a Turbo cider thats a nice summer drink really simple to make

31bb3 said:
You have to watch these guys the'll have you AG brewing before you know it .

Tell me about it :D

6 months i've been a member :shock: Im already AG brewing. I have just taken delivery of my first 2 cornie's and a false bottom is on its way. There a bad influence this lot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

snail59 said:
There a bad influence this lot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some bad influences are just what one needs in life ! It would be so boring without :drunk:

Guy

Sadly (or is that gladly) my budget and size of my bedroom stops AG brewing being possible. I don't think I could convince my parents to clear the shed for the purpose either.

Each to their own I guess. So the results were as good as you wanted, and better than you expected :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back