First Brew !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanB

Reaction score
Hello all ,

got around to making my first brew today a nice BB Irish Stout , I sterilized the s**t out of everything and rinsed it all off very thoroughly. 1kg of Dark spray malt , 3 L of boiling water, 20 L of cold water and a sachet of yeast later this was the result :

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

I took a hydrometer reading and the result was 1050.

JordanB said:
Hello all ,

got around to making my first brew today a nice BB Irish Stout , I sterilized the s**t out of everything and rinsed it all off very thoroughly. 1kg of Dark spray malt , 3 L of boiling water, 20 L of cold water and a sachet of yeast later this was the result :

I took a hydrometer reading and the result was 1050 , I have no idea if this is ok or not haha :hmm:

Looking good there. If it's anything like the better brew ipa I sampled when bottling, you'll love it :) :thumb:

Now, off you go to get another FV ready for the next one you want brewing whilst this one's brewing ;) hehe

lovelldr said:
JordanB said:
Hello all ,

I took a hydrometer reading and the result was 1050 , I have no idea if this is ok or not haha :hmm:

Looking good there. If it's anything like the better brew ipa I sampled when bottling, you'll love it :) :thumb:

Now, off you go to get another FV ready for the next one you want brewing whilst this one's brewing ;) hehe

Haha cheers mate :cheers: just hope it all goes well , as im the sorta person were nothing EVER goes 100% right I have terrible luck.

SG of 1050 is good. Should finish somewhere between 4.8 and 5.8% :thumb:
Just leave it alone! No peeking and all will be fine :cheers:

Polo_Phil said:
SG of 1050 is good. Should finish somewhere between 4.8 and 5.8% :thumb:
Just leave it alone! No peeking and all will be fine :cheers:

Relieving to hear mate :D and I certainly will.

Also the packet states 10 days Fermentation but I see most opt for 14 , do you reckon it would be best to take a hydrometer reading at 10 days and see where I stand ?

JordanB said:
Also the packet states 10 days Fermentation but I see most opt for 14 , do you reckon it would be best to take a hydrometer reading at 10 days and see where I stand ?

leave it the whole 14, then rack it off the sediment to another fv for a further 7 (although for a stout there's not much of a reason to worry about clarity) then bottle, or keg or corny.

get your next brew on :-)

1.050 is fine

guyb said:
JordanB said:

leave it the whole 14, then rack it off the sediment to another fv for a further 7 (although for a stout there's not much of a reason to worry about clarity) then bottle, or keg or corny.

get your next brew on :-)

1.050 is fine

Ok mate will do :cheers:

Dont have another fermenation barrel to get another brew on haha , gonna see how this one goes and then grab another and have my next two on at the same time. REALLY hoping this one turns out nice !

4 days into fermentation so far , looks nice and settled on top lots of bubbles on the froth. Airlock doesn't seem to bubbling now though, at least not any time I've been watching it , read that this is normal though after a few days am I right ? There's also a large Krausen ring on the inside on my FV now.

JordanB said:
4 days into fermentation so far , looks nice and settled on top lots of bubbles on the froth. Airlock doesn't seem to bubbling now though, at least not any time I've been watching it , read that this is normal though after a few days am I right ?

Yes. Now leave it alone ;)

Polo_Phil said:
JordanB said:
4 days into fermentation so far , looks nice and settled on top lots of bubbles on the froth. Airlock doesn't seem to bubbling now though, at least not any time I've been watching it , read that this is normal though after a few days am I right ?

Yes. Now leave it alone ;)
Have been mate , so tempting to have a peep haha ;)

6 days into Fermentation so far and I think all is going well , bubbles on top of the brew are starting to break up now and airlock is still bubbling steadily. Had some krausen fall off the inside into my brew from the sides but it's only a little bit. Smell at the moment smells very alcoholic with a slight eggy whiff.

9 days in now , krausen that had settled on top has now sank the froth on top of my brew has broke up and there isn't much of it left now . Airlock activity has stopped so gonna take a gravity reading tommorow.

Latest posts

Back