first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obrien

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I started my first homebrew at noon on saturday. I used a Coopers real ale kit with a half kilo of brewing sugar and a lb of light malt extract. I had a OG of 1058. I put it in the spare room with a room temp of about 22 C. Nothing happened on Saturday but on Sunday morning at about 11 it started bubbling pretty vigorously. Some froth bubbled out the airlock but not too much. I kept replacing the water and cleaned and sterilized the airlock a couple of times. The bubbling died down in the evening. By late evening there was no bubbling taking place. Same story today (Monday). Ive just taken the gravity an hour ago at about 6 pm, and it was approx 1008. Is it possible that it has fermented that fast? What should I do now. When do I bottle it? Any advice really appreciated
Thanks

Quite possible it finished fermeting already, but you are better off leaving it for extra week to let the yeast clear up all the nasties. check the gravity next week and 2 days later, if same, bottle it. It should be nice and clear by that time

Good advice from Sqrson.
From reading around the general consensus is that two week minimum is needed for primary FV.
As stated in the above post, fermentation can be completed rather quickly but it's definitely best to leave it untouched for two weeks for the yeasties to tidy up after themselves and produce a clearer beer.
I've got a Woodfordes Nog on the go now, ten days in, fermentation finished in around three to four days. Leaving it for the full two weeks before I take a gravity reading then see where it's at.

Latest posts

Back