first brewing failure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeedsBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sadly I have to report my first brewing failure. :( I racked my RGJ + Cranberry and RGJ + Apple wines yesterday.

The Cranberry one tasted good already. The apple one however tasted wrong. Not sure how to explain the taste. Probably chemically is the best description. Perhaps I didn't rinse the sanitiser out of the DJ well enough?? Will still bottle it and see how it turns out in a couple of months but i'm not holding out much hope...

On the bright side it's time to get the next batch on. :party:

What sanitizer are you using? It's always worth investing in a good one. Or just use sodium metabisulphate and never have any issues ever. :cheers:

Still, 50% success is still success! Bear in mind that apple tastes awful early on, and enjoy your cranberry! Save a bottle and taste it much further down the line, you'll be amazed at the result with good ageing.

i'm using the Wilkinson's sanitiser. Next time i pop to the lhbs think i might pick up some VWP and probably get some videne from boots as a general no rinse spray.

It could just be that i'm expecting too much from the wine, i've already done a couple of wow's that turned out great so maybe the apple one just isn't as good at this early age?

I've just had my first disaster too, although considering the success I've had I suppose it was long overdue. Strangely my crab apple wine has tuned out quite good but my cranberry is a bit .... bland!

However my 5 gallon batch of Grape and peach is doing my head in. its been 2 weeks today and the ferment just wont start. I have checked everything out and I haven't done anything stupid but it has been suggested to me on another forum that it needs de-gassing so that is my next challenge. Isn't life wonderful :party:

I was panicking a bit at first when you said it was "Brewing" failure, but then realised it was only a "Vinting" failure!

yea......not so bad then eh.................. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Latest posts

Back