First ever AG (BIAB) small batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviewell

Reaction score
Hi all I decided to go for my first ever AG today having purchased a 15l "stock pot" on eBay. Started with 11l strike water at 68c and managed to stay above 65c all through the mash with a little help from the weans sleeping bag). Used 1500g pale malt and 250g crystal.

After the 70min mash it took AGES to get the wort to boil, about 90mins!! I hope this hasn't affected anything?

I persevered until the rolling boil started anyway, then ran a full 60min boil adding a total of 8g simcoe (45min boil) plus 5g challenger (30mins). Half a teaspoon of Irish moss 10mins from the end. (Ps when I added the hops the smell was very... Jamaican..! If you know what I mean!!!)

Cooled with a home made chiller, took about 20mins to get down to 22c ish.

OG 1.050 (happy with that!) and 9.5l.
(I had to keep the lid on during the boil a lot as my crappy electric stove was really struggling. I guess this explains the relatively low volume loss).

Bottles over 2x Demi's, one with 5g simcoe dry hop and one with 5g challenger.

I am knackered now, although no sympathy from the Mrs! [emoji23]

Many thanks to this forum in general which gave me to info and confidence to give it a bash! Here's hoping the end result does not disappoint!

Cheers [emoji481]
ffdcf72323b1b5f617d44236978e80c5.jpg
c52a17bfe47c2ca05ce2d77fc875df4b.jpg
943e93b61d806535a0e6adfd55e35bbb.jpg
01ba3ed8e2aad7c2bd74628fc1984d27.jpg
9d8fc35b41106e6421c1f9d1a3972f59.jpg
3093ab2c5392c7a64ccd824abffc0ba7.jpg
51f00a8dc09ef38ed8ef40babe67f16c.jpg

good luck with your brew

there may be issues with keeping the lid on during boil (off flavs) ..thats why its recommended to take lid off....(and fog room up)..

keep us posted as to progress

All the best .
Warning ag is addictive and makes you question comericial brewers...

All the best .
Warning ag is addictive and makes you question comericial brewers...

and your sanity

the point u realize that what u brew is miles better than a "bought" pint is the real turning point/addiction phase....granted it might not be after first brew....but if its drinkable...all is good....even if its not pretty...

"After the 70min mash it took AGES to get the wort to boil, about 90mins!! I hope this hasn't affected anything?"

No, don't worry about this at all. If you got the wort boiling and kept it there then it will be good.

"I had to keep the lid on during the boil a lot as my crappy electric stove was really struggling. I guess this explains the relatively low volume loss".

I wouldn't worry about volume loss at all. OK, theoretically you're supposed to boil off various undesirables. The other "hot side" stuff is hop utilisation for bitterness - you do need a combination of time and temperature for maximum hop utilisation (if you're bothered about that!). The loss of volume is of no consequence here.
I make "English Ales" - not lagers. I do a 60min boil, with a lid as close as I can get to avoid foaming over. I don't lose a lot of volume. My beers are very good (not my judgement!! :))

I reckon your beer will be excellent - especially if you late, or dry-hop it.
Are you going to bottle it?
If so: sample it regularly, and see how it changes.
Keep at least a few bottles for a couple of months or more & enjoy what it's like then

Thanks for the replies guys! I did not know that about boiling off undesirables, I thought it was purely a case of getting the water out and therefore OG up. I did take the lid off at times, and tried to brew with the lid offset a little to let some steam out, hopefully that'll help. I'll let you know in a few weeks I guess! I will be bottling (usually try to leave them 3months+ in the bottle, can't see me being so patient with this batch though!)

Boiling with the lid off or slightly open boils off DMS. I've only ever noticed DMS once when making beer and it smelled like boiled sweetcorn. It boiled off during the boil. Unless your finished product stinks of sweetcorn I wouldn't worry about it. I only ever noticed it when I mashed pilsner overnight. I use pilsner a lot with normal 1 hour mash and have never noticed it.

Latest posts

Back