First ever AG (thanks Clibit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer 330ml bottles these days, must be getting old, or turning American. Hope yours turns out well.

What you planning for brew number 2, Greenhorn?

Brew 2 will be using up the rest of my Maris, a slightly larger % of the crystal and concentrating the hops at the bittering end to focus more on the malt. I'm interested in seeing what variation I can get from keeping the same ingredients and just changing the recipe.

After that I'll be brewing for the summer months, wheat beer, pilsner etc.

Brew 2 will be using up the rest of my Maris, a slightly larger % of the crystal and concentrating the hops at the bittering end to focus more on the malt. I'm interested in seeing what variation I can get from keeping the same ingredients and just changing the recipe.

After that I'll be brewing for the summer months, wheat beer, pilsner etc.

Similar kind of thing here, I reckon. I only bought a kilo of MP anyway, so will have to buy more grain so do anything. Still got loads of the goldings left, so I think I'll do exactly the same, at the same times, but this time with a specialty malt as well as just the MP. See if it makes a difference to taste or just colour.

Like yourself after that it's crazy time.! Want to get a Märzen going too, as the missus fancies having an Oktoberfest party.

Even more annoying is that the labels on kopperberg bottles just fall off in hot water. No scraping or anything.

Oh well.

Time to treat yourself to a bench capper. I haven't found a bottle it won't cap and so much easier and faster than a hand capper.

Like yourself after that it's crazy time.! Want to get a Märzen going too, as the missus fancies having an Oktoberfest party.

I'm planning on trying a Gose. Sounds very interesting. And Mrs Greenhorn has put an order in for a raspberry beer.

Well, after two weeks warm and two weeks cold conditioning, last night myself an a friend cracked open the first two bottles of my first AG.

And oh my god was it just lovely. A deep black with a good brown head, which stayed all the way down the glass.

Not overly hoppy, or malty or bitter, but dry as a bone and absolutely delicious. And it went down brilliantly with some cheese.

I shall definitely be making this one again.

No.2 has just been bottled and No.3 will be going on later this weekend. And my fridge fermentor and boiler will be ready in time for my 15L pils which I'll be doing over Easter.

Holy ****. I tried the penultimate one of these last night and over the intervening couple of months they've got rather fizzy. Half of it ended up on the work top. Still tasted good though.

I think I'll be chilling the last one.

But surely there's nothing for it to eat?

There are some sugars that are unfermentable to brewers yeast (can't remember what they are I'd have to do a bit of googling if you want to know) but wild yeast have no problem chomping through them. That's why they over attenuate beer and can create beer fountains

Latest posts

Back