First go at brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jj691

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm doing a kit I bought from wilkos. It seems to be going fine, but the kit tells me I should bottle the beer today.

It's bin in primary fermentation for 7 days, and secondary fermentation in the bottle will last 16 days according to the kit.

However, the top of the beer hasn't cleared up much. There's parts where I can see the beer underneath but not much
I've bin reading on other forums that you can't tell if fermentation is done just by looking at it (I don't have a hydrometer yet) .

I'm thinking I should give it a few more days because well... if in doubt, leave it in the fermenter. What do you all think?

Don't rush to bottle it. Go and get a Hydrometer and take a reading. Then wait a few days and take another reading. If the readings are different it is still fermenting and needs longer. Once the Hydrometer readings are the same over a few days, fermentation has stopped. So long as its somewhere near the target FG given by the kit instructions you can then bottle. Don't be tempted to bottle too soon, or you could end up with bottle bombs.......

I'll definitely leave it for a few days then, the reason I turned to the thread was because I didn't want any bottle bombs!

I'll try and get a hydrometer before work later so I can take a reading tomorrow! Thank you!

As the guys above said. I'd say minimum is 2 weeks but can depend on your temperature. The krausen (the gunk at the top) is the yeast munching through the sugar. Ordinarily when it's done it's job you can expect this to drop to the bottom. So if it's not dropped yet then it's not stopped yet. Just give it some time and hydrometer readings are a big help.

Went into my local wilko's an they sell basically everything but a hydrometer!!! So looks like going to have to get one online. Anyone got any sites that aren't too expensive?
Cheers in advance!!

Went into my local wilko's an they sell basically everything but a hydrometer!!! So looks like going to have to get one online. Anyone got any sites that aren't too expensive?
Cheers in advance!!

Order on their next day delivery service. Won't cost you any more that way and you can drop in and pick it up at the weekend. Brew will probably still be happily fermenting until then anyway.

Only on my 3rd brew myself so welcome to another newbie. Warning, this hobby is inexpensive and addictive. A joyful yet worrying combination :D

Cheers in advance!!
+1 on what others have said.
No problem whatsoever in leaving it until you have your hydrometer, which, if Wilkos can't supply you could get from Balliihoo who dont charge much for P&P on small items. https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#index.php
But keep the lid on until you are ready.
Try this as well if you are on your first brew
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
and this when you get your hydrometer
How to measure Specific Gravity using a Homebrew Hydrometer - The HomeBrew Forum

The first hydrometer reading was 1.017 on the 25th, going to do my second reading after work today!
The beer has cleared up more now, which is a good sign!

I left my winter warmer ale in the FV for 2 full weeks. Then left it in the 2nd vessel for another full week to clear and can honestly say I would never use finings again. Has come out crystal-clear so I bottled it and it is priming now. Definitely worth that extra week resting to clear up.

Back