First partial mash imminent !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
So, after much deliberation and the arrival of my new big shed, I have no excuse but to move my brewing on a touch. Having come back to brewing after a thirty year gap, I have been kit brewing for the last year or so and been quite impressed with my results, a big improvement on the kits of yesteryear... However, as I seem to read on this forum, I/we WILL eventually move things on, so after reading Clibit's 'sticky' post re partial mash brewing and Sapapro's recent encouragement, today I ordered a 15 litre pan, 2kg of Maris Otter, some crystal malt, hops, so4 yeast and some Irish moss I am ready to go. It will be combined with one of the Wherry kit cans as per Sapapro's suggestion, and see how it goes. If the results are favourable I will do the same with the rest of the kits I have in store and take it from there.... Bring it on !

Enjoy! More work, but more fun and satisfaction, and improved beer. You'll be effectively making a small AT and adding it to a kit, so you will soon want to try a straight AG!

Good, oh! I always used to think kit making was just like making a microwave meal or making a cup of tea - completely no control over the processes. Now your entering 'dark water' a new world of brewing processes will open up to you.

Another convert to the dark side by Darth Clibit.

I often wonder if Clibit is responsible for a large decline in kit beer sales, as one by one people are being converted!

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the mash." :thumb:

Yes, I think Clibit may in fact be a Jedi - he seems to be slowly moulding our minds to his way of thinking, one by one :smile:

Good Luck with your first partial mash Redron - have you got a grain bag ? I use a net curtain from Wilkos, easy to clean then hang on the line ready for the next brew.

Yeah, got a grain bag. The 15L pan I got off Amazon at £18 and the brew stuff is coming via Copper kettle brewing recommended by a fellow forum member, great selection of stuff and reasonable postage to Skye (we have to watch postage costs up here....!). I bought 10kg of Maris Otter and a supply of yeast and hops as per your recommendation in the 'Wherry post' so good to go with my remaining kits. :thumb:

I use a 15l stockpot, should work well. Enjoy your brew day !

Oh, and we need a few photos of your grain/boil/Hydrometer SG posting on here for us to enjoy.

Back