First time Corny keg user

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth - I batch clean and sanitise my cornies, rather than doing one at a time (I have 5 full size cornies and 3 smaller kegs).

To clean I rinse them out with a garden hose spray attachment, then put in PBW and fill about 2/3 full with hot water. Give it a shake, leave it on its side for a bit and occasionally roll around for a few minutes.

While waiting I rinse the next keg and then empty the PBW from the first keg into it and do the same. Give the empty keg a quick rinse to remove any PBW residue. I occasionally stick a bit of silicone grease on the o-rings and remove the posts to inspect the o-rings on the dip tubes, but not every time.

When they're all clean I'll l fill them with sanitiser and then empty with CO2 (again, one keg into another) so they're 100% CO2 purged and ready for closed transfer.

They then sit until required, which could be weeks or months.

When I finish a keg of beer I just leave it sealed up until I'm ready to clean, which again can be weeks or months. I've never had any difficulty doing this.

Would

Would VWP be okay to use and then let dry completely before using sanitiser (chemsan in my case). VWP say they are okay to use on SS but internet consensus seems to be it will ruin it.
I like my nice new cornys too much to ruin them šŸ˜‚
I have never used VPW. I use scent free Oxy and boiled water to get the worst of it off. I also use a sponge with washing up liquid to get as much clean as possible. I rinse thoroughly, then sanitise. I also use a keg as an FV so the quicker I clean it, the easier the krausen comes off.

My intention was to use oxi all the time for cleaning but the GEB oxi I have doesn't fully dissolve (been a pain in the ass trying to get the little lumps out of my corny) so that's why I was thinking to use the tub of VWP I have.

Lots of tool advice going on! I had a bit of a palaver recently with tool size...had to change the blower resistor in son's car. Awkward spot,passenger footwear and up a bit. Socket bit required to remove old one...5.5mm! Had 3 x 5mm and 2 x 6mm and no access for clamps or such to get it started. I had a rummage in the garage of doom and by chance found a 7/32" which fixed it! So the moral is...its not the size that's counts its how you use it! And...don't chuck anything away!

Lots of tool advice going on! I had a bit of a palaver recently with tool size...had to change the blower resistor in son's car. Awkward spot,passenger footwear and up a bit. Socket bit required to remove old one...5.5mm! Had 3 x 5mm and 2 x 6mm and no access for clamps or such to get it started. I had a rummage in the garage of doom and by chance found a 7/32" which fixed it! So the moral is...its not the size that's counts its how you use it! And...don't chuck anything away!
Imperial spannerā€™s youā€™ll round your nuts with them.

Astonish oxy from home bargains or B&M. Few quid for a couple of kilos. One or two scoops into the corny, after rinsing out with warm water. Lasts ages.
16776693060272080300477078536320.jpg

This the one?

Hi Tess, I bought a corny lid that is adapted for use with a ball float, it has a post built into the lid and the ball float connects to this. With this set-up the beer out post is redundant so I just left the long tube in place. The lid and ball float cost about Ā£35 from BrewKegTap, they are currently out of stock but you may find one on another site. Hope this is of use.

Hi Tess, I bought a corny lid that is adapted for use with a ball float, it has a post built into the lid and the ball float connects to this. With this set-up the beer out post is redundant so I just left the long tube in place. The lid and ball float cost about Ā£35 from BrewKegTap, they are currently out of stock but you may find one on another site. Hope this is of use.
Ā£13.50 here.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/keg-lid-carbonating-device/

I was thinking just to cut short the beer out tube and attach the float there. No point in leaving the long tube in there.
Are gas in and beer out the same diameter? Might be better than cutting.

I fitted liquid posts to my existing keg lids - it just requires drilling a 13mm hole, which will be easy for some forum members, but perhaps not for others (I used a pillar drill and titanium coated drill bit).

Thank you - this is a 6 month old thread now though, so I've already bought floating dip tubes and the short metal piece that goes in, instead of the long metal dip tubes for my kegs. I don't like those and won't be using them.

These are what I use now.

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/s...t-liquid-dip-tube?_pos=1&_sid=1d060d57c&_ss=r
I think the original question was about spanners!

Last edited:
Astonish oxy from home bargains or B&M. Few quid for a couple of kilos. One or two scoops into the corny, after rinsing out with warm water. Lasts ages.
What rate do you use . Just bought it now when shopping . Do you use the same guidance rate as on back ie general clean 1tsp or stubborn 4tsp. Thats for clothes so not sure on kegs . Thats for kegs so prob good few rinces after with hot water . Would it also be ok for grainfathers s40s and plastic fermenters

I tend to gage it by how the keg looks. Two scoops is enough for a serving keg. I also use a keg as an FV so I would use three scoops for that. But repeat the process if I think it's necessary.

I don't have a grainfather but I do have a 35L digiboil. I use it on that and haven't had any issues. It will work on plastic FV's but don't use it on something like a fermzilla as boiled water will warp the mold.

Back