Fizzy fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahunus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just started brewing some Maple wine (adapted from a basic mead recipe. Maple syrup instead of honey. OG 1.090)
Its currently in primary fermentation in a large plastic bucket.
My question is: the wine is audibly fizzing, like a can of coke. Is this okay? I have never had a brew fizz that loudly before.
I hope it isn't infected as maple syrup ain't cheap :laugh8: I did sterilise everything thoroughly before brewing including boiling the water and syrup.

Thanks all

Hi, my four DJ's of Crabapple cider are currently fizzing away like crazy, the krausen (the foam on the top) on one of them was starting to force it's way up through the airlock at one point as the fermentation was so rapid (two bubbles per second). They've calmed down a bit now on the 3rd day and the krausen has subsided, but still fizzing away. All good! :^)

Phew that's good te hear! I've had vigerous fermentation before but never heard a fizz 😅 new air lock is in the post. Need that reassuring bloop

It sounds fine. The yeastie beasties are just a bit excited (obviously they like the taste of maple syrup!) just keep an eye on your bubbler to make sure it’s moving and not blocked and you’ll be fine.

If you’re hoping to make a flat wine at the end then it’d be worth looking into making a Degassing wand. Wait until yeast have has their fill and are too drunk to eat any more then you can degas it before bottling.

Latest posts

Back