Football Season 2022/23.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With half the season gone who will win this season's Premier League?

• Arsenal

• Manchester City

• Manchester United

• Newcastle

• Other - pleast post in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's ridiculous to class that as "clearly" coming off Milner. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't but "clearly"? No! Impossible to say. Though it comes from an Everton supporters organisation so naturally they will view it through a blue-tinted lens.

For my part, I had a ticket for Brighton-Leicester today but couldn't go. What a game to miss!

First Match of the Day of the season for me yesterday, I know yesterday was particularly bad but VAR really is sucking the life out of football, it's dreadful.
Agreed. Thing is (and I know this isn't an original view) it's not VAR itself that's at fault but the way it's being implemented. I've no problem with goals being chalked off if a VAR review shows that they were clearly offside. But when they're used to assess, for instance, whether a foul was committed before the West Ham goal yesterday, and the VAR officials make such an obviously wrong call, you wonder what the hell is the purpose of VAR! This is precisely the sort of decision that a lengthy review should get right. In fact, the briefest of reviews should have got it right.

Agreed. Thing is (and I know this isn't an original view) it's not VAR itself that's at fault but the way it's being implemented. I've no problem with goals being chalked off if a VAR review shows that they were clearly offside. But when they're used to assess, for instance, whether a foul was committed before the West Ham goal yesterday, and the VAR officials make such an obviously wrong call, you wonder what the hell is the purpose of VAR! This is precisely the sort of decision that a lengthy review should get right. In fact, the briefest of reviews should have got it right.

Yes you're right, it's not VAR itself thats at fault, but, I absolutely hate the fact that you can't celebrate a goal anymore without wondering if it's going to be chalked off minutes later, for me personally it's ruined my enjoyment.

Yes you're right, it's not VAR itself thats at fault, but, I absolutely hate the fact that you can't celebrate a goal anymore without wondering if it's going to be chalked off minutes later, for me personally it's ruined my enjoyment.

Yeah, we saw some classic examples of that this weekend like MacAllister's rocket for Brighton and the vital last-gasp equaliser for West Ham that never was. You can imagine the massive emotion of the fans seeing those goals fly in. (And there were several more.) Maybe one day we'll have sensors in the ball and on the players that can instantly flash up 'Offside!' -- though it won't help with controversial 'fouls' and the like. At least if decisions could be made more quickly. The Brighton goal today had a delay of 4.5 minutes before it was disallowed.

Yes you're right, it's not VAR itself thats at fault,
They discussed this on 606 after the game and a couple of suggestions were to have two x players and a x referee making the decisions then with three people making the call its unlikely there would be a wrong decision.

Listening to the 606 podcast below and Savage has predicted the top 4 to be -

Man City (to win)

Spurs

Chelsea

Man United.

(in no order)

Its very early to make a prediction but I don't think you can rule Liverpool out,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001brb3

ppp.JPG

The usual Top 6 are almost certain to be the final top 6. But (with the possible exception of City finishing top), no one can predict the order -- though no doubt fans of the individual 6 will all be insisting that their teams are certain to be in the top 4. Apart from anything else, we have a 5-week mid-season break for the World Cup. Who knows how that will impact things?

Chelsea are set to hold talks with Brighton boss Graham Potter about replacing the sacked Thomas Tuchel.

Ex-Swansea and Ostersunds FK coach Potter, 47, has been given permission by the Seagulls to talk with Chelsea.

Tuchel was dismissed after losing the confidence of Chelsea's players and the new ownership, who took over at the club in May.

Potter, who has been tipped as a future England boss, has led Brighton to fourth in the table this season after winning four and drawing one of their six Premier League games.

He was appointed in May 2019 and has led the club to 15th, 16th and ninth-place finishes in his three seasons in charge.

But his brand of attacking and tactically flexible football has brought him many admirers in the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62824405

Sacked.​

Thought it was a funny time to sack him when I first read that this morning but according to reports he'd lost the players and hadn't talked to the board for ages. I'm not unhappy either as I think he's a plonker.

Potter would be a fool to take the job in my opinion, be he probably will.

I think he'll be OK for a while but something isn't right at the club.

Looks like Potter is going. I didn't think I could despise Chelsea more than I do but this is a new low. Yeah, yeah, "But he's merely making a career choice" as a mate said to me earlier. That's the logical view. Football is rarely logical. For some of us, people born in Brighton who saw the club nearly go out of business over several decades, who have now, finally seen the club turn the corner with an ethical management structure starting to pay dividends, this is no time for cold logic. Chelsea, under an ownership that represents everything that Brighton is not and will never be, are surely the most toxic presence in the English game. They use money as a weapon. Never satisfied with destroying their own credibility, they think nothing of destroying the careers and happiness of others - swallowing up high-potential players and coaches who mostly then vanish after they don't immediately deliver. Why should they care? They have bottomless pockets. They'll buy another one tomorrow, whatever the price. Like some spoilt playboy who's never had to earn a living, they lose all sense of normal values that the rest of us have to live by. The only consolation at this moment is the knowledge that it will all end badly for them -- again. Can't wait.

It could end badly for Potter as Chelsea have bought badly for the last 3 years and have an unbalanced squad. He will need to be given time but alas won’t get it.

Back