Football Season 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy ⚒️ this weekend. Finally got a result at Brighton. 3 great goals 👍🏼
Made 4 quality signings finally . Good start to the season compared to last year

VAR ruled this as not offside, unfortunately they dont show it from behind the goal which shows he didn't touch the ball i have seen them given both ways what are your views on it?

TBH if it was at the other end i would not have been happy as he did make a difference to how the keeper reacted, it made no difference to the result as we didn't win by just one goal in the end.

Last edited:
VAR ruled this as not offside, unfortunately they dont show it from behind the goal which shows he didn't touch the ball i have seen them given both ways what are your views on it?

TBH if it was at the other end i would not have been happy as he did make a difference to how the keeper reacted, it made no difference to the result as we didn't win by just one goal in the end.

As you say it made no difference to the result but it was another poor decision. They've had a few years now to sort out VAR, with all the money in football it shouldn't be this hard. It's one of a number of things that have turned me off football in recent years.

As you say it made no difference to the result but it was another poor decision. They've had a few years now to sort out VAR, with all the money in football it shouldn't be this hard. It's one of a number of things that have turned me off football in recent years.

They discussed it on 606 i think its time to give *X players a chance the VAR refs keep making obvious mistakes time after time its ruining the game.

*they would not be allowed to ref games in which teams they have played for are playing to rule out any calls of biased decisions.

They discussed it on 606 i think its time to give *X players a chance the VAR refs keep making obvious mistakes time after time its ruining the game.

*they would not be allowed to ref games in which teams they have played for are playing to rule out any calls of biased decisions.

They talked about ex players doing it on 'the only way is football podcast', (worth trying if you like podcasts), reading between the lines it didn't seem like their was much interest.

Ex players reffing games would be terrible. Referees are not top level footballers, so why would footballers make top level refs?

For the goal above it’s not offside by the law, but honestly I’d take out the whole question of ‘affecting play’ and just say offside is offside.

Manchester United winger Antony has agreed to delay his return to the club "to address allegations" of assault made against him.

The 23-year-old was due back to training on Monday after being dropped from Brazil's squad for their World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru.
But United say it has been agreed with the player that he will delay his return until further notice in order to address the matter.

Antony denies all the allegations.

"Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony," said a club statement.

"Players who have not participated in international matches are due back in training on Monday.

"However, it has been agreed with Antony that he will delay his return until further notice in order to address the allegations.

"As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse."

A police investigation has been opened following allegations of domestic abuse against his former girlfriend.

He is also facing further allegations of assault made by a woman in an interview with a Brazilian TV channel.

Antony appeared on Brazilian TV on Friday, saying "I never attacked any woman" and added that "the truth will come out".

He issued a statement on Sunday saying: "I have agreed with Manchester United to take a period of absence while I address the allegations made against me.

"This was a mutual decision to avoid distraction to my teammates and unnecessary controversy for the club.

"I want to reiterate my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will fully co-operate with the police to help them reach the truth. I look forward to returning to play as soon as possible."

Antony has been accused of attacking his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin "with a headbutt" in a Manchester hotel room on 15 January, leaving her with a cut head that needed treatment by a doctor.

She alleges she was also punched in the chest, causing damage to a silicone breast implant, which required corrective surgery.

Antony previously said on social media about Cavallin's claims: "I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made."

Ingrid Lana, a 33-year-old banker, has also claimed in a short clip released by Brazil's Record TV that she hit her head when "pushed against a wall" by Antony at his house in Manchester in October 2022.

Both Greater Manchester Police and Sao Paulo Police are looking into the claims.

Antony did not play in the international break after the Brazilian football federation said he had been withdrawn from their squad after "facts became public" that "need to be investigated".

BBC Sport.

The company potentially buying Everton sounds like a bunch of wrong'uns.

Still needs approval by the Premier League, but as we've seen with Newcastle if they apply enough pressure that will happen eventually.

What a joke, you can't celebrate a goal these days for fear of it being disallowed for an infringement that may have happened 10 mins before and they miss the easiest onside decision i've seen in ages. Again, not talking about football, talking about some poor sap looking at a computer monitor. Get rid.

I agree, the idea was good but it hasn't worked and its taken a lot of the fun out of the game, i would rather go back to the days where we trusted the ref and lines men/women to get it right they didn't always but VAR is no different.

If they wont drop it how can they improve it?

Becker Liverpool goal keeper said they should use the var that they used at the world cup. it is a different system to what they use in the prem and apparently works very well

Andy Holt: Accrington Stanley chairman puts club for sale during social media rant​

1698075928190.png

Chairman Andy Holt has put Accrington Stanley up for sale - during an extraordinary series of online posts.

On social media he replied to comments from Accrington assistant Jimmy Bell, who said he and boss John Coleman wanted clarity over their futures.
Bell confirmed that he and Coleman had not been offered new deals, with their contracts due to expire next summer.

Holt responded on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying: "I'm not replacing them. I'm replacing me."

Replying to questions from Accrington fans, the chairman added: "I'm not the right person to take this forward.

"Accy needs to change and become a new club with new methods. I have nothing more to offer the club. I'm spent."

Coleman and Bell have been in charge at Accrington for all but two and a half years since 1999, guiding the club to three promotions and EFL status before returning for a second spell.

They oversaw Stanley's promotion to League One in 2018 and, despite dropping into the fourth tier last season, the team are seventh in the table after three consecutive wins - the most recent a 1-0 victory over MK Dons on Saturday.

But Holt, who took over the club in 2015, hit out at Bell's remarks - which came in an interview with BBC Radio Lancashire - saying: "When we got relegated last season the first thing our managers said was 'give us a new contract or sack us'.

"There was no way their performance deserved anything but the sack. But their past with the club got them a 'get out of jail free card'.

"Had they buckled down and proved they still had the hunger and desire to rebuild the club, I would discuss new contracts.

"Instead, after a few wins, they went to the media. They tried to use fans to pressure me - which was a mistake."

Some will say the penalty decision was soft but its about time refs and VAR got a grip on defenders putting their arms round players and shirt pulling in the box it would stop it overnight if they all did it, it didn't end 1 - 0 so it wasn't the game decider.

1698600683758.png

Back