Football Season 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Glad its back, i dont follow any other sport so for me its a big thing.

As usual can i ask the haters to stay out of the thread, thanks.

1691176846784.png

FA Community Shield Live​

Manchester City v Arsenal (Sunday - kick-off 4.00pm).

Mark Pougatch is joined by Roy Keane and Emma Hayes to present coverage of the traditional curtain-raiser to the top-flight campaign, held at Wembley Stadium.

The Citizens won a Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League treble last term, but have lost in this match in each of the previous two campaigns, to Leicester City and then Liverpool.

With commentary by Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon, and reports from Gabriel Clarke

I've been so starved if football that I went to Haverfordwest County v B36 Tórshavn in the EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE - QUALIFYING SECOND ROUND - 2ND LEG at the Cardiff City Stadium last night. Haverfordwest are the Bluebirds, like City.
B36 were 2-1 from the first leg. It finished 1-1after extra time last night, so Haverfordwest are out. The standard of football was not great but it was enjoyable. There were two former City players in the Haverfordwest team. One, Jazz Richards, went off injured after half an hour. He seemed to spend a lot of time injured when he was at Cardiff.

Arsenal will be determined to prove they can once again challenge Manchester City for the Premier League title when the two sides meet in the Community Shield at Wembley.

Usually, the Community Shield features the winners of the Premier League and the FA Cup, but Pep Guardiola's side won both last season - as well as the Champions League.

BBC Sport takes a look at how the two sides are shaping up as the new campaign approaches.

Arsenal led the Premier League table for 248 days in 2022-23, the most for a team who failed to win the title in English top-flight history.

Their challenge fell away as City finished in imperious form while injuries and fatigue took their toll on the Gunners.

Fans will have wanted to see some big moves in the summer transfer window to prove the challenge was not a one-off, and they have certainly done that.

England midfielder Declan Rice is the standout signing for Arsenal, having arrived from West Ham for £100m.

His arrival followed the recruitment of Germany international Kai Havertz from Chelsea in a £65m deal and Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber from Ajax for a fee which could rise to £38.5m.

Manchester City, meanwhile, have made two significant signings so far this summer with Croatia midfielder Mateo Kovacic arriving from Chelsea for an initial £25m and his international team-mate, defender Josko Gvardiol, joining for £77m from RB Leipzig.

City finished five points clear of Arsenal last term so the need to strengthen was less pressing than it was for the Gunners, although they did lose captain Ilkay Gundogan.

The midfielder played a key role in City's Treble win, scoring 11 goals in 52 games, and although he was offered a new deal at Etihad Stadium, he opted to join Barcelona.

Manchester City embarked on a tour of Japan and South Korea over the summer while Arsenal headed to the United States.

City began with a 5-3 win against Japanese side Yokohama F Marinos, coming back from 2-0 down to win, then beat Bayern Munich 2-1 before losing to Atletico Madrid by the same scoreline.

Prior to heading to the US, Arsenal drew 1-1 with FC Nurnberg in Germany before thrashing an MLS All Stars team 5-0 in Washington.

The Gunners then lost 2-0 to Manchester United but rounded off their US tour with a 5-3 win against Barcelona.

Leandro Trossard top scored for Arsenal in pre-season with three goals, while new signing Havertz hit two. For City, last season's Premier League Golden Boot winner, Erling Haaland, scored two goals during the summer.

Speaking of Haaland...

The big advantage Manchester City have over any other side in a title race is Haaland.

The Norway international broke records left, right and centre last season - his first at City.

Haaland scored a record 36 goals in 35 league games to win the Golden Boot - and netted 52 goals, a record for a Manchester City player, in 53 games in all competitions.

Arsenal did not have quite the same focal point in attack as Gabriel Martinelli and Martin Odegaard finished as the club's joint top scorers in the league with 15 goals.

That didn't diminish their attacking threat, however, as they scored a club-record 88 goals in the Premier League and finished with 16 different scorers in the league - more than any other team.

'It's time to beat City' - what the managers say​

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta: "This is what we want, fighting for every trophy. We have to prove that. What we did last year was not enough to win the big trophy and we have to be better."

On if there's extra motivation to beat City: "Yes. It's time to do it."

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "We know the situation we are in right now. We finish two weeks after Arsenal. We start two weeks after Arsenal.

"We are not in the best way. It is a final, hopefully our mentality can help us to compete and try to win the title.

"Every pre-season is when we won the quadruple or Premier League three times in a row, we think players will drop, but they are ready."

'Few would bet against City winning another trophy' - analysis​

BBC Sport's Simon Stone:

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has admitted his players started pre-season late because they ended last season in June with their victory over Inter Milan in Istanbul. That means they might be slightly undercooked given they have only played three pre-season matches.

City lost this fixture to Leicester and Liverpool in the last two seasons, so there is some truth to Guardiola's words. However, such is their winning mentality, few would bet against them achieving trophy number four (out of a possible five) in 2023.

This is the first significant test for Mikel Arteta's revamped Arsenal, which went so close to winning the title last year and have added £200m-worth of talent to their squad.

Jurrien Timber will play as an inverted full-back, whilst Declan Rice will clearly strengthen the Gunners in central midfield. And, with Gabriel Jesus ruled out, the addition of Kai Havertz provides another attacking option and improves the depth Arteta's side lacked last term.

I don't think that they will topple City this season as they wont get a better chance to do so as they did last year and bottled it in my opinion. City have a team full of serial winners and Arsenal don't. I w.ould love too see Arsenal winning the league this season but i don't think they will. Fingers for them crossed right enough

Refs have been told to clamp down on this behaviour so i am glad to see the card, lets hope all refs this season follow his example.

18 mins

YELLOW CARD - Mikel Arteta

Arsenal 0-0 Man City

City midfielder Rodri fouls Kai Havertz and Arsenal are insistent he should be booked.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta waves an imaginary yellow card... and the referee comes over to book him instead.

No card for Rodri.

I would love too see the players who love to cheat and take a dive get a straight red and a 2 game ban. That might stop them from cheating.
Refs have been told to clamp down on this behaviour so i am glad to see the card, lets hope all refs this season follow his example.

18 mins

YELLOW CARD - Mikel Arteta

I agree with this and hate to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sums the game up so far lets hope he is right about the second half

'It's been a bit slow'

Arsenal 0-0 Man City

ef04b1b9-1368-4ed4-b872-dee288197ca5.jpg

Craig Shakespeare

Former Leicester City manager

It has been very slow in possession, I'd like to see a lot more movement off the ball and a lot more options for the man on the ball. But I understand where both teams are at - I expect to see the game open up with substitutions in the second half.

'I'm buzzing'​

Arsenal 1-1 Man City (4-1 pens)
13290cea-cdda-4420-97a5-503ab8ec8d44.jpg

Arsenal
Arsenal midfielder Declan Rice speaking to ITV: "I am buzzing, this is what I visioned when I joined.
"City gave us what we expected, but I am buzzing – so happy. You have to have the patience against them, you have to have mini games within the game against them like the manager said to us before.
"To win today, my first for the club.
"I feel I've grown a lot in the last three weeks. There's a lot of information to take in of what the manager wants. I'm eager to learn and keep improving.
"I'm sure we can achieve anything this seaosn - we just need to remain focused."

I think we need to do some penalty practice before next week :D

I also think the ref should have ended the game before 101 minutes as i am sure there was only 8 minutes of injury time added.

Oh well well done Arsenal your players kept their nerve when it was needed most.

All charges against Mason have been dropped why is he leaving, i know they say its mutual but it sounds a bit fishy to me, was he any good?

Manchester United and Mason Greenwood have “mutually agreed” for the player to leave Old Trafford, the club have announced.

The 21-year-old has been suspended by the club since 30 January 2022, over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.

Greenwood was facing charges including attempted rape and assault until the Crown Prosecution Service announced that the case had been discontinued.

The forward has remained suspended by United throughout this period and the club have now confirmed the forward will be not be returning to the Old Trafford set-up.

United said in a club statement: “Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.

“Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped.

“Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible.

“This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.

"That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.

“It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome."

Mason Greenwood scored 35 goals in 129 matches for Manchester United.

The forward’s contract runs until June 2025, including the option to extend for a further year.

In a statement, the former United player said: “I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst.

“I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges.

“However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.

“I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.

“Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me.

"The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club.

"I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.

“I am enormously grateful to my family and all my loved ones for their support, and it is now for me to repay the trust those around me have shown.

"I intend to be a better footballer, but most importantly a good father, a better person, and to use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch.”

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...ood-will-no-longer-play-for-manchester-united

Latest posts

Back