Football Season 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Who?

He should have kept his mouth shut i bet Pep had to google his name when he heard he had slated Haaland a few weeks ago :D

'I don't care about that man' - Haaland responds to Keane criticism

When Roy Keane called Erling Haaland "almost League Two level" after Manchester City drew 0-0 with Arsenal, the forward had not scored in five matches and City had failed to score in a Premier League game at Etihad Stadium for the first time since October 2021.

The Premier League title remained out of City's grasp as then leaders Liverpool sat two points clear of Arsenal and three ahead of the Blues.

But since that disappointing result on 31 March, Pep Guardiola's side have won six league matches on the bounce and are now one point behind frontrunners Arsenal, having played one game less.

And Haaland, 23, has performed a starring role in the resurgence, scoring seven goals in four league matches, including four against Wolves in a 5-1 win on Saturday.

The Norwegian is not only responding brilliantly on the pitch, he is composed off it too.

Asked about Keane's comments after his side's win at Wolves, he told Viaplay: "I don't really care that much about that man, so that's all right."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4n1l976532o

Last edited:
We are nearing the end game now.

As Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola rather succinctly put it: ā€œOne week left, three games left. Nine points and we will be champions. Seven, six or three points, Arsenal will win the Premier League.ā€

Guardiola is not placing much faith in Manchester United then, given he expects Arsenal to win every game and the Gunners visit Old Trafford on 12 May.

But, then, he doesnā€™t have to.

If City win their final three games they will go into the history books as the first team to win the English title in four successive seasons.

Four Erling Haaland goals against Wolves ensured City navigated their latest obstacle with ease. Now it is on to Craven Cottage and Fulham, a team they have beaten 15 times in a row.

They finish with West Ham at home. City have not dropped a point at Etihad Stadium against the Hammers since Guardiola arrived in 2016.

In between comes a trip to Tottenham. City have not scored a Premier League goal or taken a point at Spursā€™ new stadium. They did win there in the FA Cup this season, though, and Ange Postecoglouā€™s team are in terrible form.

And, as Wolves boss Gary Oā€™Neil pointed out, this is the hardest time to play City.

ā€œManchester City, in May, when they are chasing down a fourth consecutive Premier League title, are fairly tough,ā€ he said.

ā€œThey have an incredible focus at this point. History tells you, at this point in the run-in, they are difficult to stop.ā€

Last edited:
1714903078272.png

His best of 4 last night -

Last edited:

Premier League referee to wear camera in match​

1714997212374.png

A referee will wear a video camera for the first time in a Premier League game during Monday evening's match between Crystal Palace and Manchester United.

Jarred Gillett will use a head-mounted device called a 'RefCam', although the footage will not be broadcast live.

The video will be used in a one-off programme providing insight into officiating in the Premier League.

In February, Bundesliga referee Daniel Schlager wore a camera and microphone during a 2-2 draw between Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg.

That footage was also used for a programme called 'Referees Mic'd up - Bundesliga'.

Last year, Premier League referee Rob Jones wore a camera for a 2023 Summer Series match between Chelsea and Brighton in Philadelphia.

The use of bodycams was also trialled by the Football Association in adult grassroots football last year in an effort to reduce the amount of abuse officials at that level suffered.

BBC Sport

BBC Sport

The issues with Manchester United's stadium were highlighted for Sir Jim Ratcliffe to see following heavy rainfall during Sunday's 1-0 home loss to Arsenal.

1715596415688.png

One of the best days of my life still puts a smile on my face when i see it posted.

How did Man City win the Premier League in 2012?

It was also the first Premier League title to be decided on goal difference, with City's game-winning goal against QPR coming 15 seconds after the final whistle blew in city rivals Manchester United's 1ā€“0 win at Sunderland, which would otherwise have brought the title to the Reds.

Premier League clubs will vote on whether to scrap video assistant referees (VAR) from next season at their annual general meeting next month.

Wolves have formally submitted a resolution to the Premier League which will trigger a vote when the 20 member clubs meet in Harrogate on 6 June.

The club said VAR was introduced "in good faith" but has led to "numerous unintended negative consequences that are damaging the relationship between fans and football".

VAR was introduced in 2019 to help support on-field officials with key match decisions, but there have been a number of controversial incidents involving the technology this season.

"The price we are paying for a small increase in accuracy is at odds with the spirit of our game," read a Wolves statement.

The Premier League said it "acknowledged the concerns" about VAR but "fully supports" technology and will continue to work with referees' body PGMOL to make improvements.

BBC Sport.

I actually think theyā€™ve got to a good place with VAR now. Look for a reason the refereeā€™s decision is right, and only overturn it when theyā€™ve really messed it up.

My main issue is how long it takes to make a decision about offside. Automated offside will help in that regard, but I also think they could make the rule easier to judge in general.

I actually think theyā€™ve got to a good place with VAR now. Look for a reason the refereeā€™s decision is right, and only overturn it when theyā€™ve really messed it up.

They are going to discuss this later on 5live, they have said if there was no VAR the top 8 clubs would still be in the same position which backs up youth thoughts.

They have to change the rule stopping linesmen and women putting their flag up as soon as they see players are offside.

Last edited:
They have to change the rule stopping linesmen and women putting their flag up as soon as they see players are offside.
Iā€™m actually fine with that practice.

The problem for me is that it takes too long to draw the lines and make a decision with VAR, and then there's the subjectivity of which video frame you use (I think they now use the first frame where the passer makes contact with the ball). If you're having to do all that then it's not offside, or stick with the on field decision.

Just use VAR when someone has really messed up.

Latest posts

Back