Fridge Freezer conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Someone gave me a fridge freezer they no longer want and I've called dibs on it for homebrewing. I was wondering if there was a way to control the freezer and fridge sections separately? Here are some ideas I have:
  • Use as intended - as a fridge freezer - by keeping yeast in the fridge and hops in the freezer. IT would be dedicated for brewing ingredients storage
  • I do have a hop freezer and the freezer section of this new unit is a bit small for a fermenter, so would it be possible to use the top fridge section as a fermentation chamber and the bottom as a temp controlled yeast storage.
  • If I used the fridge as a fridge, for storing yeast or bottled beer etc in, is there anything I could use the freezer section for?
I guess the ultimate question is could I control both sections separately? If not is there anything I could use the different sections for?

I'm also thinking of using it to temp control some kraut and hot sauce ferments, or bottle conditioning storage.

1607261946661.png

Are the top and bottom independent? Some chiller sections slave off the freezer.
I think I'd use it as follows....
The top half would have some stronger shelves instated and it would be for having a ready supply of chilled bottles. Or...I'd have a chilled PB in there.
The bottom would hold hops and my supply of curry gravy.

There's only one compressor and it looks like it powers the freezer. I might have to go with option no. 1

Latest posts

Back