Fuller's London Porter BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colour comparison, side-by-side. Letting them come to room temp before sampling, plus I will flatten the bottled version:

H99nta5l.jpg

Ok, so mine is slightly lighter. Not a massive difference in colour.

Early flavour observations:

Trial jar sample:
Tastes very good, even this early on.
Slight toffee flavour (choice of crystal?)
Similar roastiness to real version. Not sure I'd want more.
Yeast flavour not hugely detectable, but it's difficult amongst all of these speciality malts.

Real bottle sample:
More of a prune aroma versus toffee of the homebrew (could this be the crystal again?).
Slightly soapy/minerally, but more so in aroma.
Not sure if some of the fruity prune aroma is partly from the yeast.

I've been drinking this since two weeks in the bottle, and it has been fantastic since the first bottle. I took some to a home brewing group last night, and a few people there commented on how good it was.

So, my thoughts are: what a great recipe, what a great yeast, and I'm thankful that I've started keeping a close eye on fermentation temperatures. I really believe that if you get a healthy fermentation at a "good" temperature, then you shouldn't have to wait months for any off-flavours to correct themselves. Yes, beers can improve, especially stronger ones, but this stuff tastes cracking straight away.

:mrgreen: boiled for 90 mins won't be too long?

I guess I must have seen that one at some point, as it looks pretty close to mine. I guessed the fermentation temp, but it looks about right. My boil was 90 mins, but shouldn't make much difference.

One thing I'm not sure about it is how much attenuation I'll get from the yeast. Basing it purely on Brewer's Friend prediction. I could have also measured the FG from the real bottle which I was drinking last night!

Forgot to add that I also added salts as per Murphy's recommendations.

rodabod :thumb:
adjust taste with a bit different proportion

I've been drinking this since two weeks in the bottle, and it has been fantastic since the first bottle. I took some to a home brewing group last night, and a few people there commented on how good it was.

So, my thoughts are: what a great recipe, what a great yeast, and I'm thankful that I've started keeping a close eye on fermentation temperatures. I really believe that if you get a healthy fermentation at a "good" temperature, then you shouldn't have to wait months for any off-flavours to correct themselves. Yes, beers can improve, especially stronger ones, but this stuff tastes cracking straight away.

Back