Fullers news

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes me a bit sad. I live in London and Fullers beer is readily available and fresh, it’s always a reliable pint to order in a pub. The fear with these buyouts is that it ends up with cost cuts and worse beer. With my accountant’s hat on, Asahi looks to have paid a very full price and this increases the fear that they will have to drive profits up quickly.

I predict the London brewery will be eventually closed and developed (after the dust has settled) and the beer contract brewed outside of the M25. Shame really. Best get some 1845 to get that yeast banked before it changes somehow..

Although, the proposed sale actually protects the future of the Griffin site, and history tells us that a similar purchase of the Pilsner Urquell didn't result in such changes, they appear to be continuing unhindered by Asahi ownership.

Although, the proposed sale actually protects the future of the Griffin site, and history tells us that a similar purchase of the Pilsner Urquell didn't result in such changes, they appear to be continuing unhindered by Asahi ownership.

Yeh that’s a good point. And Fullers and Asahi have been working together already, so fingers crossed.

I know we live in a global economy, but this still feels quite sad. The deal includes the historic Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, which has stood since 1845.

I guess on the face of it, nothing changes (at least for now), but it seems a shame that such a longstanding, quintessentially British brewer, should now be Japanese.

I thought Fullers took significant stake last year and gave all sorts of promises
They appear quite happy with the situation. Via Twitter.

"Morning. @Fullers if I may step in? We've just signed a new 10 year lease thanks to Fuller's and installed a new canning line. Also working on new barrel ageing room and opening up new markets with their support. Biz as usual and pushing on. Have a great weekend. Cheers, James"

Best tweet of the day, from @pilotbeeruk who did a collaboration brew at Fullers, yesterday.

"Pal, we stick with our friends through thick and thin, particularly when they have two hundred and fifty million quid."

Last edited:
I work in Hammersmith and went for a run at lunch along the river, ran past the brewery, didn't realise I was so close! I'd like to the visit the brewery one day, but they do no tours after working hours, could take an extended lunch break...

I think this will be fine, breweries often get bought out because a larger company wants to add "craft beer" to its portfolio, and buys the brewery because it's doing well. To close it or skimp on ingedients would defeat the point of a multi-million £ buyout.

I can't think of a brewery buyout which has resulted in a decrease in quality. Maybe a lot of them are still early days, but more good breweries will come as others go. Ironically, the brewery I think has decreased in quality are those indie punks Brewdog, their core range just doesn't taste like it used to.

Back