FV temp control STC-1000 best setup values??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had my Fermentation fridge set up for a while now but today I have actually put my fermenter in it for the first time.
Previously I have just had it set to 11c and keeping bottles of beer in it, which it has done very well and maintained a pretty even temperature.

So what is the best way to set-up the controller????

I have tapped the Temp sensor to the side of the FV with a little square of Insulation covering it.

Current FV temp is 17.9c.
Set the STC-1000 Temp to 22c (F1).
With a Temp difference of 5c (F2).
Compressor Delay on 3 minutes.

Shouldn't this mean that nothing happens until the temperature either drops less that 17c or goes above 27c????
Currently its trying to Heat the fridge even though the difference setting overlaps the actual temp of the FV.

***Bear in mind I am not actually controlling the fridge/heater at this point as I want the FV temperature to increase naturally due to fermentation***

So... any tips?

Your settings mean that the heat will come on at 17 and go off at 22, cooling on at 27 and off at 22. I'd consider reducing the difference value, I have mine set to 1.5 and with the probe in free air don't suffer any heat/cool cycling.

our tc control is set to come on and go off if 0.5 degrees is different. we use it for fermentation and the probe sits in the beer. temp is controlled by a tubular heater and a beer chiller with a product coil that also sits in the beer :thumb:

Cheers guys...
I'm going to run it without heating to start with and let it run with the Cooling set-point at the highest fermentation temp I want it to reach.
Hopefully it won't need any heat.

I'm currently fermenting at 18.5C, the difference set at 0.5C & the compressor delay at 10 mins.
Heat from a 40 watt pipe heater, cooling from the fridge
Sensor in a little bubble wrap pocket taped against the FV
Once it's settled after a new brew goes in (4 or 5 hours) neither the heat or the cooling are on very often it mainly just holds within the range

Apologies,old thread but better than starting a new one ?
What do you guys think,I have a dozen bottles in my brew freezer with stc1000 controlling it,they are conditioning so I have set it at 20 degrees,I'm thinking just turn the socket off for cooling so that it in effect just a heater,it's in the shed anyway and temps are always below this anyway so should work better than constant heating/cooling?
Thanks

Back