Garage or Spare Room?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adajam4

Reaction score
Sorry to seemingly be taking over the forum with questions, but as I move towards my first brew, I am starting to mull over questions in my head. My garage is pretty well insulated but is definitely cooler. At this time of year, with the heat given off from fermentation is the garage the best place for the fermentation, or is the spare bedroom the place to keep it?

Sorry to seemingly be taking over the forum with questions, but as I move towards my first brew, I am starting to mull over questions in my head. My garage is pretty well insulated but is definitely cooler. At this time of year, with the heat given off from fermentation is the garage the best place for the fermentation, or is the spare bedroom the place to keep it?

I would most likely suggest the spare bedroom as the next few days are not too hot.

Can you tell us, please, what yeast you are going to be using?

A Coopers kit yeast will be OK unless your spare bedroom gets a lot of sunlight and is really very warm.

An anything-else-sourced-in -the-UK kit will be a Muntons kit, which comes with a less heat tolerant yeast.

If you have a thermometer to hand and let us know the temps in the two rooms, you will get better advice. More data the better!

I m going with the Safale U.S-05 11.5g yeast, was just in the garage and have left the thermometer to stabalise at 20.4 - just a bit of advice, but the fermentation bucket is showing 24? I understand if it was warm in the garage today the air may still be warmer, but this seems to be out? Do these stick on's generally go after time? Spare bedroom is sat at 22.6.

image1.jpg

US 05 will be good. No worries about the temps, mate, just go to it and use the spare bedroom, as it does sound like your garage will be much more variable in temperature from what you are telling us. Yeast likes as stable a temp as possible and you may consider wrapping a towel over it after the first 3 days or so, for this reason.

US 05 is good up to 24 or 25C with no issues.

The stick on thermometers are great for aquariums, but have a certain "shelf life" on the side of a homebrew FV.

Another (potentially) silly question... Once I have pitched the yeast and sealed the FV - will it matter much moving it upstairs?

Conversely on bottling day - I am guessing I want to not disrupt the sediment as much as possible on the way down. Would it be worth moving it down after primary prior to bottling and then bottling a couple of days after?

Lastly and sorry for all the questions but I want to try and get it a close to right first time as I can. If the aquarium ones have a limited shelf life are they still the most viable option, or is there a better way to monitor the temperature during PF?

I usually pitch my yeast and then move it to the garage where I leave my FV to ferment. I try to move it less after fermentation when you have sediment and a krausen that dont want to be mixed in by moving it after fermentation. Dont know what other members think about that.

My other thought is if you move it to a 2nd FV for a second fermentation and/or bottle or keg in the spare room there will probably be some spillage at some point. Thats why I use my garage (well that and keeping the wife happy). Will spillages be an issue for you?

I was thinking that I could leave it in the other bathroom in the bathtub for PF, I don't really want to bottle in there though, it is fine to sit there and do what it needs to, but bottling etc will need to be in the garage to bottle (Like you - I need to keep the other half on-side) I was going to go straight from PF (after dry hop) straight into bottles.

Have you got a more well insulated garage giving a consistent temperature? Or do you ever get issues with varying temps?

Not had any problems due to temperature in my garage. I dont have a cooling system atm, but have a heat belt that I have become quite good at setting up to require the right temp. I have a wireless thermometer that also records max/min which I stick in there and can check the temp from indoors. Not had any major fluctuations.

Where did you place the heat belt? I have heard that this can cause warming in certain spots - I think the garage should be just fine. Also - any links to this wireless thermostat.

At different times of year I place the heat belt at different heights on the FV or lose around the bottom. Its a thermometer, not a thermostat. Im actually looking at setting up a thermostat controlled fermentation chamber atm made from a fridge and the heat belt. That will give far better temperature control

Back