Gas ring vs electric heating - BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pietrach

Reaction score
Hi
I am doing BIAB small batched 7-12 litres.
I am considering outdoor brewing. I would be doing this in my garden, as opposed to the kitchen (current approach), in good weather only.
I am considering two options, a gas ring, but I am worried about the cost of gas bottles, storage etc, and the other option is to install a heating element in my boiler.
I feel drawn to the second option as then I think I could install the STC 1000 to control my temp and leave it be.
I know the heating element would reduce the size of my kettle available for grain, but I don't consider this an issue as I have a lot of spare capacity.
Please tell me your point of views, pros and cons, to allow me to make an informed decision.
thanks.

I bought a 30L electric boiler for something like 80-odd quid off ebay. Works fine for BIAB but gas would be better for the boil. Sure, you can set it to boil, but the element is either on or off - it's 1500W - and that gives a pretty vigorous boil til the thermostat switches it off. Works ok, but with gas I'd be able to adjust the flame til it was doing a gentle rolling boil and leave it going. if the boiler had some kind of `dimmer switch' fitted so you could turn down the element a bit it would be much better. But it hasn't.
I brew in an old stone farm building, lots of ventilation, but out of the wind. Using a gas ring outside in the wind wouldn't be very good as the wind would waft away much of the heat.

Back