Gassing up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefstoker

Regular.
Reaction score
Right, I have a couple of cheapo kegs (but am going to invest in some cornies soon), I just wondered about using N20 bulbs instead of CO2 ones, would it make a difference in say a keg of stout? Or would the small bubbles not be absorbed into the already CO2 'carbonated' brew?

anyone?

Can you force a cornie with N2O?

:cheers: CS

Not seen nitrogen bulbs, only seen the widget system.
Will also be interested in answers :hmm:

Cornies are ideal for 70:30 or 60:40 C02 / Nitrogen mixes which are ideal for stouts and 'smoothflow' type beers, the gases are readily available. Regarding nitrogen bulbs and 'cheapo kegs' I'm afraid I cannot offer an opinion as I've never seen nor used either.

Thats an intresting find chiefstoker,It makes me think of a possibilty and the need to hi-jack your subject a mo.I have my cornies attached to my CO2 Cylinder,One cornie i always use for my edme stout,Would i be able to drill my cornie lid and add a pin valve,then when i'm ready to force carbonate my stout blast in a couple of these n20 bulbs in aswell to make it a creamy pint??If this is poss how many of these bulbs could i use in a typical 19l cornie with the co2??Thanks and sorry again chiefstoker for hi-jacking your subject :cheers: :thumb:

arthurbear said:
Thats an intresting find chiefstoker,It makes me think of a possibilty and the need to hi-jack your subject a mo.I have my cornies attached to my CO2 Cylinder,One cornie i always use for my edme stout,Would i be able to drill my cornie lid and add a pin valve,then when i'm ready to force carbonate my stout blast in a couple of these n20 bulbs in aswell to make it a creamy pint??If this is poss how many of these bulbs could i use in a typical 19l cornie with the co2??Thanks and sorry again chiefstoker for hi-jacking your subject :cheers: :thumb:

If your gassing up with Nitrogen just make sure you, don't overdo it, it may make your pint nice and smooth, but it will inevitably make your bones & joints ache the day after a session.

UP

unclepumble said:
arthurbear said:

If your gassing up with Nitrogen just make sure you, don't overdo it, it may make your pint nice and smooth, but it will inevitably make your bones & joints ache the day after a session.

UP

Thanks for that Unclepumble...How many of the little n20 would you say to add to a 19l cornie???How do you mean bones and joints acheing?Thanks :cheers: :thumb:

Not sure of the amount to add, to be honest.

As for joints bones ache, its a side effect of Nitrogen build up in your body. That's one of the reasons you generally feel like ****/lethargic achey after drinking large amounts of smooth flow ales.

UP

Not sure what your meaning on this pachislo??
The n2o sparklets in this link are provided by a homebrew shop.These are also use in the making of icecream ( Mr Whippy style ) Had many of those as a kid ( and still now ) and i'm fine.
Reading up on these the only danger is from directly inhaleing one.
Maybe i'm missing something :wha: :wha:

N2O is indeed nitrous oxide and not nitrogen. I can only assume that it's a typo on the advertisers part.

Don't buy them they are indeed Nitrous Oxide capsules, have been looking on the net and found this paragraph in part of an article on deaths when using legal highs.
He says nitrous oxide - or laughing gas - has become incredibly popular with clubbers and festival-goers.

Normally used as a propellant in whipped cream canisters, inhaling the nitrous oxide capsules can bring on two minutes of giggling, euphoria and even hallucinations.

"We attend festivals each year to keep tabs on what people are taking," he says. "Last year the fields at Glastonbury were littered with nitrous oxide capsules.

"While the substance itself is not that dangerous, it's the stupid things people do while under the influence that's of concern. For example, there was a case of someone putting a condom over their head and suffocating."

Statistics show that four people died as a direct result of using laughing gas in 2007 and figures for 2008 are predicted to be higher. (full article here: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/fabulou ... ivals.html

UP

Ok So now i'm even more confused.

The article as per unclepumble is relating to deaths via n2o,But reading more on the net seems to relate to direct inhale of the substance ( ie discharge the sparklet into a plastic bag and breath in the fumes ).

Looking at the n2o it is nitrous oxide ( laughing gas ) and is use mainly for injection into whipping cream making MR Whippy style ice cream. ( so guessing it cant kill you that way )

So all I can think is as it has the ability to change liquid form into a cream,using this in stout homebrew in smaller amounts ( ie like co2/nitrogen mix 70/30 ) it will result in a creamy head in stout and by all rights should not kill you? :wha:

Will wait on more info and internet searching :thumb: :cheers:

Back