Gearing up for AG Brewing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey_G

Reaction score
My first real commitment towards AG brewing, a mash tun. I got most of the parts in the U.S. since my father is a plumber there, best of all it was at the right price, free! The cooler was of the cheaper variety, but works well based on several reviews. Push comes to shove I can wrap it in a blanket to maintain temps or go with a higher strike temp to preheat it.

I was worried that the plastic washers would not hold as the local hardware shop did not carry brass or stainless steel ones, however I have had water in the cooler for the past hour and no leaks thus far.

Here are the parts listing that I used in order from inside to out:

1x stainless steel braided hose
2x barbed fittings
2x stainless steel hose clamps
1x brass T-fitting
3x plastic washers
1x "top hat" looking seal that was part of the drain system that came with the cooler
1x brass nipple
1x rubber o-ring
1x plastic washer
1x brass ball valve
1x barbed fitting

Someone on here has mentioned braided hose can get clogged up when used in mash tuns. More suited as a hop filter.

I think the probs with braid filters in tuns are due to the brad collapsing under the weight of the grain bed during the drain, which can be simply addressed by inserting short lengths of copper tube butted up against each other.

I have had a few buddies that used the braided hoses before with no problems. I have also heard of folks using SS safety wire, coiled up and inserted into the tube to prevent collapse. I'll write a "I probably should have listened to you guys" reply if I run into any problems. :cheers:

Us Americans just love our turkey fryers. Screw that, for a price equivalent to 37 quid, I grab this to use as a boiling unit. As an added bonus it came with a thermometer and spigot already attached. I am going to fire it up this weekend to see how fast it gets to a boil and to see how well this regulator allows me to control the temp. The only drawback I see so far is that it has a 15 minute auto shut off timer. Not a huge deal, but it's an extra step in the process.

Latest posts

Back