geordie mild use up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was sorting my cupboard out yesterday and come across a can of geordie mild that id forgot about. it was out of date since last september. so i thought id use it and try a little tweak. i cold steeped some crushed chocolate malt overnight and had some cluster hops to add also.
list,
1 geordie mild kit
200g choc malt (cold steeped in 1 litre of water) overnight.
500g brewing sugar
454g golden syrup
20g cluster hops
1 pack of wilkos/gervin ale yeast

drained the liquid from the choc malt into a pan through a sieve and sparged with another liter of water at 80 degrees.
brought pan to boil and added hops. boiled for 10 mins then added to fv with the rest of ingredients and then added water to 20 liters.
yeast rehydrated prior and pitched at 19 degrees
sg 10.40
taste from trial jar was just fine. nice bitterness and coffee taste. i'll update when its done and kegged up.
just after a session beer.
maybe it will turn out like a porter :?:

I've got 4 cans of this I blagged in the sale silly cheap and keep on seeing recepies for modding it. Is it a good base kit for modding in some way? Thinking i've done well here!

just kegged this brew today.
it was stuck at 1020 when i checked it after 7 and 9th day so i give it a gentle stir and it come back to life. 3 weeks and it was down to 1012 which is about right i would say and 3.7%. had a sneaky taster and its very promising, pretty much like a porter. has a little acidic taste that i've had with coopers stout a few times but i'm not worried as that seems to go with a few weeks conditioning in the keg. primed it with 75g table sugar
ill update when i try it properly in time

well ive just had my first pint of this modified mild. the acidic taste has gone and its turned out nice. its like a porter. the cluster hops could have being a bit better. i would add more the next time but as it was just to use up what i had im very happy with how its turned out. a nice session brew.
the geordie mild kit isnt a bad kit made to instructions but these additions have certainly added a nice twist to it.

Latest posts

Back