Ginger beer and small pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Eyup all.
There's a recipen on this fine forum that explains how to make ginger beer from scratch, its been going a few years i believe.
Anyways I want to make some for myself (a 40 pint batch) but I only have a stainless stock pot that can safely boil 6 litres. Buying a mash tun isn't an option sadly.
My question is, can I boil the kilo of ginger/lemons etc in the 6 litre pot and add that to my FV then fill to the required level? I plan to add the sugar and yeast at this point.

Also, while leaving to ferment should I leave the ginger etc in the FV or filter it out before adding yeast and sugars?

Cheers people.:drink:

I have never done a ginger beer, but I would think your approach should work with a 6L pot as there is no mashing required. I would ferment on the pulp, but if I did so, I would rack the liquid off the pulp ASAP after fermentation to a secondary FV. So if you don't have 2 FV's, I would not add the pulp.

Hope this makes sense!

Yeah I think that should work. When I did it I fermented on the pulp, and left it in the fv for three weeks before racking and bottling it and it came out great.

Mine didn't come out so well, as it was very bitter.

I think the problem may have been that I added all of the lemon including the white pith. Other recipes I have seen use only the peel and the juice. I'm going to try again soon.

I actually did a no boil version a while ago which was really nice using this for the recipe:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-4Hb5GFFk[/ame]

On both occasions I fermented on the pulp.

Cheers for the replies people, shall go at this with a fair amount of confidance.
Brazilian, how did the 2 day recipe go? It went swimingly in tv land ofcourse.

Latest posts

Back