Ginger beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glycerine

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: (FLV310) Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wine`s mouth-feel giving it a fuller, more pleasant texture. Glycerine also smoothes over some of the harsh characteristics that are prevalent in most younger wines. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous syrup that has little noticeable flavor except for a slight sweetness. That makes it perfect for taking any wine and turning it into a big, macho red. Glycerine can also be used in cordials to enhance their body.

DIRECTIONS: Before adding Glycerine, the wine should be clear and moved off of any sediment into a clean container and ready to bottle. Add the Glycerine directly to the wine. It is important that the wine be stirred thoroughly to evenly disperse the Glycerine.

DOSAGE: Use between 1 and 3 tablespoons of Glycerine for each gallon of wine, or between 2 and 8 ounces of Glycerine for each 5 gallons of wine, depending on your taste. When adding to cordials, use 1 to 2 tablespoons per each quart.

MAXIMUM DOSAGE: Total dosage in wine should not exceed either 4 tablespoons for each gallon of wine or 10 ounces for each 5 gallons of wine.

EACH 4 FLUID OUNCE BOTTLE: is sufficient for treating up to 10 gallons of wine, depending on the dosage used.

Hi all, an update for those interested or doing their own brew. My batch 2.1 has been bottled for a week with 55tsp of canderl and 50 tsp of sugar added to 2.5 gallons. As expected, it needs further sweetening as some of the sugar has fermented - good carbonation though.

batch 2.2 has had a week in the bucket witht he same amount of sweetening, and also will need some more. I'm wondering though, as I havent had time to go shopping for a concentrate or cordial... if I boil and reduce a non-sugar squash or something, could I get a more concentrated syrup to use as artificial sweetening? Or can anyone recommend a ginger flavoured cordial? I'd prefer not to introduce a different squash flavour.

Both batches are tasting almost drinkable, but a bit dry again. I have to say, they're really unlike Crabbies, which is what I was hoping for.

cheers

Just started off a DJ of this, had to add a lot more sugar than suggested, though I used brewers sugar. I used:

300g ginger
1 Lemon
1 Lime
500-600g brewing sugar
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 heaped tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Wilkinson's Ale Yeast

og ended up around 1.042 with a load of stirring.

May start another with less ginger and maybe try some cinnamon or something else in as an experiment once I have a free DJ

Placed everything in DJ including sliced lemons and the grated ginger and got a bit active over night, would I have been better straining the mixture before adding it to the DJ?

I bottled mine some weeks ago, and over the weekend tried to do a blind taste test on the missus. one bottle of home brew ginger beer, and one bottle of crabbies alcoholic ginger beer in the fridge overnight, poured onto ice in different glasses, in a seperate room. took them through to swmbo. She immediately realised which was which. Crabbies was crystal clear, and a dark nearly brown colour, some fizz, and a very palatable taste, quite sweet in my opinion. Mine was a bit cloudy, and a lot yellower, had a lot more sparkle than the crabbies though. It had a very strong ginger aftertaste, she said it was very sweet, I didn't notice this. I thought it was dry. Whilst cold I thought mine was almost undrinkable, however she really liked it and said that it was better than she thought it was going to be. Once it had warmed up to room temperature, it was still fizzy, nearly 2/3 pint left, crabbies was finished ages earlier, the flavour had changed completely, and I could tast the sweetness, and it was a lot less harsh. very nice overall.

Just bottled my first lot of ginger beer let it ferment for a month, then into secondary for a month. Tastes very lemony with a slight kick of ginger after. Made another with less lemon in it as well as not placing all the ginger and lemon in the DJ with it.

If I were to repeat the same recipe id use half a lemon and half a lime and up the ginger

Just made 5 gallons of fiery ginger beer this morning. Added some cinnamon as its Christmas!

Used 2kg sugar and 0.5kg honey.

Used champagne yeast.

Once fermented I'll let it mature, ready for a summer BBQ and camping.

I have just brewed this, but used 1.5kg grated ginger instead of 1kg

1kg Fresh grated ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient
1 sachet champagne yeast

OG 1.050
FG 0.992
FG after racking for 4 days 0.992

Bottled 39 pints 18.1.13 will condition for at least 4 weeks

Scottiedog said:
I have just brewed this, but used 1.5kg grated ginger instead of 1kg

1kg Fresh grated ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient
1 sachet champagne yeast
OG 1.050
FG 0.992
FG after racking for 4 days 0.992

Bottled 39 pints 18.1.13 will condition for at least 4 weeks
Doing this recipe next weekend.
How much water is added and could I use cider yeast?
Cheers. :cheers:
KC :thumb:

the cider yeast will be fine. I simmered all my ingredients in a large pan. Then when its all done and poured into the fv you just add water to the desired level.

I did a 2G batch

400g ginger
2 tsp ground dry ginger
400g oranges
1kg sugar
yeast nutrient
cream of tartar

At bottling time it tasted pretty good (and i can't usually stand Ginger Beer!)

Making it was a very enjoyable experience though and smelt great.

LeedsBrewer said:
the cider yeast will be fine. I simmered all my ingredients in a large pan. Then when its all done and poured into the fv you just add water to the desired level.

I did a 2G batch

400g ginger
2 tsp ground dry ginger
400g oranges
1kg sugar
yeast nutrient
cream of tartar

At bottling time it tasted pretty good (and i can't usually stand Ginger Beer!)

Making it was a very enjoyable experience though and smelt great.
No yeast?
What does yeast nutrient do (I assume it just gives the yeast a boost?)
Do you strain the liquid off and bin the ginger gubbins, or does it all go in the Fermenter?

Bottled mine today. 20 500ml bottles and a 5ltr easy keg.

Put half tea spoon of sugar in each bottle and a drop of lemon/lime cordial as a sweetener. Had a quick taste test, and I'm looking forward to drinking it when it's got some fizz!

I just used some ale yeast i think??
I did a 2G batch (2 DJs). one of which i put all the ginger and oranges etc into and the other i strained them out. i'll do a taste test when they're ready to see if it makes any difference. the yeast nutrient will help to ensure a good fermentation. Its definately recommended in kit beers as there isnt really enough nutrients for the yeast. (AG is different though cos the wort you create will have enough nutrients)

LeedsBrewer said:
I just used some ale yeast i think??
I did a 2G batch (2 DJs). one of which i put all the ginger and oranges etc into and the other i strained them out. i'll do a taste test when they're ready to see if it makes any difference. the yeast nutrient will help to ensure a good fermentation. Its definately recommended in kit beers as there isnt really enough nutrients for the yeast. (AG is different though cos the wort you create will have enough nutrients)
I'm struggling to get down beyond 1012 would nutrient help that?
How much would you add per gallon/litre?

looking at my notes i see that my FG was in the mid .990's so i mustve used wine yeast.

Dont think that adding nutrients will do much after the first half of fermentation. Mead makers often add some at the start and at the 1/3rd mark but i've read its a bit pointless after halfway (though that might just be on high gravity drinks like mead??). If you think that fermentation is stuck then just do the usual stir and check temps.

I liked the idea of using a diabetes pee strip thingy to see if fermentation has finished. They check to see if there are any sugars left in the solution. Haven't used them myself but thought it was a good idea.

This is my 5 Gallon recipe (taken from everyone elses on this thread and tweaked) that i will be putting on tonight when i keg up my stout (fingers crossed).
1.25 Kg peeled and grated ginger
2 tspns dried ginger
2 tspns cayenne
2 lemons
2 limes
1 tspn cream of tartar
1.5 Kg Sugar
1 kg light DME
2 tspns yeast nutrient
1 sachet cider yeast
Hopefully it will be nice and will remain largely untouched until the summer :pray:
Should be 5.9 according to the alculator, although anywhere around 5-5.5 would be great. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back