Ginger wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I do like a drop of Stone's Ginger Wine with my Whiskey or Rum, so I am thinking of making a few bottles. (5l)

Here is what I was thinking. Any comments?

3 litres WGJ
250g fresh ginger
10g powdered ginger
800g sugar
1 orange
Cuppa tea
Glycerine, pectalase,nutrient & yeast.

Fermented out to give 13-14%
Kill off the yeast then add more sugar to get the sweetness back.

Ok I had a go this morning.

I used about 400g of fresh grated ginger and an orange which I simmered for about half an hour in half a litre of water. I shall leave this over night and I will strain it off and add it to the DJ tomorrow.

In the DJ I have 3 Litres of WGJ, 800g of sugar, 10g of powdered ginger a cup of strong tea and all the usual bits and bobs.

I want this to be sweet and strong so I am using a high alcohol yeast. So far I have 1.2kg of sugar in the mix which should give me 14% ABV in five litres. However, I might be adding a little more as the ferment progresses. I am not worried about adding too much as this wine needs to be sweet anyway so it is not a disaster if it is not all used up by the yeastie bugs.

This is what I have so far;
chhxxqO.jpg

HDnt9m8.jpg

Since you boiled it with the whole orange in, did you add extra pectolase? Orange peel is almost one-third pectin, and boiling it will release the pectin into the must, so extra pectolase is probably recommended.

I checked this tonight and found the SG was getting low so I added another 300g of sugar.

It smells good but is still a dirty ditch water brown.

Stuck stuck stuck.

SG has stuck at 1.05 and despite trying to re-start it over the last week it refuses to budge.

So it is mighty sweet and a dismal 8% abv :( 1.115 to 1.05 sg

However I have racked it off and put it to one side to clear. I am going to use it to blend and back sweeten other wines.

And I shall get some more ginger and have another go.

Latest posts

Back