Golden Promise / Nelson Sauvin SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
We're going back to basics - after our last mega brew (12.15%!) we're dialing it back a bit to make a mellow, but funky, DIPA. Looking for critique on the recipe below as have never done a SMaSH or worked with golden promise:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 19 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.078
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.087
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 9.49%
IBU (tinseth): 58.03
SRM (morey): 8.1

FERMENTABLES:
8 kg - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (100%)

HOPS:
40 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 58.03
20 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
20 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
20 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 66 C, Time: 120 min, Amount: 27 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.8 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protafloc, Time: 5 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 (x2)

In comparison to the other brews you've posted this is very tame!

Personally I'd say 50 IBU is a little on the low side for a 9.5% beer (I do like my beers quite bitter tho) but if you want to restrict it to 100g hops you might not be able to do a lot about that. I'd be tempted to move the 0 min addition to 10 mins for flavour as your dry hop should give enough aroma and it'll push the IBUs up a little...actually, I'd be more likely to consider reducing the bittering addition (maybe to zero) and doing a 30 minute steep (before cooling) with as many hops as you can (leaving some aside for dry hopping), that should add bitterness, flavour and aroma. That said, I don't have any software to hand so don't know what that'll do to the IBUs, you'd probably still need to keep some at the start.

In comparison to the other brews you've posted this is very tame!

Personally I'd say 50 IBU is a little on the low side for a 9.5% beer (I do like my beers quite bitter tho) but if you want to restrict it to 100g hops you might not be able to do a lot about that. I'd be tempted to move the 0 min addition to 10 mins for flavour as your dry hop should give enough aroma and it'll push the IBUs up a little...actually, I'd be more likely to consider reducing the bittering addition (maybe to zero) and doing a 30 minute steep (before cooling) with as many hops as you can (leaving some aside for dry hopping), that should add bitterness, flavour and aroma. That said, I don't have any software to hand so don't know what that'll do to the IBUs, you'd probably still need to keep some at the start.

Cheers Mick! We've tinkered with the IBU count, final recipe below for our brewday on Wednesday (which will be soundly documented!)

Boil Time: 90 min
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.087
ABV (standard): 9.49%
IBU (tinseth): 108.63
SRM (morey): 8.1

FERMENTABLES:

HOPS:
80 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 108.63
30 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Aroma for 0 min
40 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
50 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protafloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

I know it defeats the point of a SMaSH but do you have any left over cheaper hops for the bittering addition?
IIRC nelson sauvin aren't cheap...
I'd run this through another bit of brewing software to check what your flame out and dry hops are going to bring to the ibu party.
I'd maybe split your 80g (which will only contribute bitterness (and a fair bit a 11.7% AA) and very little if any flavour) with either
a 30mins addition (40g?)
or (my preference)
a 10/15min addition (20g?) and a 5 min (20g?) addition which will add mostly flavour (haven't tried them but nelson are meant to be awesome).

Have a play with brewers friend to check what you want ibu wise and maybe have a Google to see at what level we stop tasting a difference (I need to too as someone told me it was about 90ibus...)

I know it defeats the point of a SMaSH but do you have any left over cheaper hops for the bittering addition?
IIRC nelson sauvin aren't cheap...
I'd run this through another bit of brewing software to check what your flame out and dry hops are going to bring to the ibu party.
I'd maybe split your 80g (which will only contribute bitterness (and a fair bit a 11.7% AA) and very little if any flavour) with either
a 30mins addition (40g?)
or (my preference)
a 10/15min addition (20g?) and a 5 min (20g?) addition which will add mostly flavour (haven't tried them but nelson are meant to be awesome).

Have a play with brewers friend to check what you want ibu wise and maybe have a Google to see at what level we stop tasting a difference (I need to too as someone told me it was about 90ibus...)

Aye, that sounds more like a ploy. Going 40g at 60min, 20g at 30min, 20g at 15min then 30g at flameout. This badboy is going to stink!

Already bought two 100g packets of Nelson (yeah, that hurt a bit) with the SMaSH intention :D

One thing about this, i'm getting varied OG and ABV between BrewersFriend and Beersmith.

1.083 and 8.8% from Beersmith, 1.087 and 9.4% from Brewersfriend. I'm using the same parameters... not entirely sure what to believe! Any thoughts guys?

Check what efficiency and sparging method BM has as that can affect those numbers. I've found unless you change the equipment profile you can end up with some odd batch sparge mixed up with odd numbers as defaults to give you some odd variants on numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Final recipe:

Forever Unclean! (SMaSH Nelson IIPA)

Boil Time: 60 min[/COLOR
Efficiency: 62% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.086
ABV (standard): 9.17%
IBU (tinseth): 79.3
SRM (morey): 10.2

FERMENTABLES:

HOPS:
50 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 43.7
40 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 26.9
20 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.7
30 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Aroma for 0 min
55 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
50 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
55 g - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protafloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 (x2)

After acquiring another 100g of Nelson Sauvin we're going to smash this SMaSH into hopblivion. Labels below!

oumYaj3.jpg

dsT3QZ3.jpg

Latest posts

Back