Got to love a local home brew shop..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not aware of a decent one locally.

When I've been through to Edinburgh I've planned to make a grain/hops/yeast order to pick up at Brewstore, but every time I've gone to do this I've found that Geterbrewed are cheaper after postage than Brewstore are for free in-store collection! My most recent attempt was last weekend because my wife had planned a trip to Edinburgh on a midweek day off.

My wife wants to go to Edinburgh on Saturday so was thinking of paying a visit,oh who am i kidding, i cant wait!
Im after ingredients for my first Biab,can you tell me if their grain selection is ok and are the owners or staff helpful?
I see they do a 4 gallon NZ IPA for around nineteen quid with yeast,hops etc. I know its cheaper buying everything separate but im obviously wanting to get my first biab right.
Cheers

@pms67 the guys in the shop are both friendly and helpful, like MickDundee found tho I thought it better value to look at the online suppliers and ended up getting a lot more for my buck if ordered via the tinternet. That's not to say the "store" is n- ot a great wee place - just not the Oasis that Davie's shop Edina was - remember going there when the other half was proper shopping, smoking rollies and listening to Davie's wisdom - them were the days :)

Did you go to the store on Saturday - sorry tinternets been playing up so not visited the forum for a while

@pms67 the guys in the shop are both friendly and helpful, like MickDundee found tho I thought it better value to look at the online suppliers and ended up getting a lot more for my buck if ordered via the tinternet. That's not to say the "store" is n- ot a great wee place - just not the Oasis that Davie's shop Edina was - remember going there when the other half was proper shopping, smoking rollies and listening to Davie's wisdom - them were the days :)

Did you go to the store on Saturday - sorry tinternets been playing up so not visited the forum for a while

Yeah,its packed with good stuff,i got a few kits and bits and pieces and the owners knew their stuff,however, i was getting increasingly frustrated at needing to ask the price of everything indivually, only a couple of things have prices on them,all hop packets-no prices! How much is your Mosaic "£7.50" puts them back,how much is your Chinook " "£6.90" puts them back and so on,overpriced as a few have mentioned but handy for an emergency if you are local and their kits seemed reasonably priced but im trying to get away from them.As i have said in another post though the kits i bought came with 200g of hops with the lager and 170g for the Pale Ale, quite surprised to see that.

I don't have a decent shop for miles. I have a hardly decent shop 3 mins up the road. Everything is very expensive. No grain just kits and equipment. He's also very old fashioned in his service and advice. Learnt far more on here.

www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk is just up the road from me <2 miles. It's part of a health food shop but has a decent selection of kits, grains, yeast and equipment.

They work very hard and as one of the owners tells me they can crush up 3kg of grain and sell it for �£3 for a lot of hard work or sell a vitamin for �£3 with no work and make the same profit.

There service is second to none, they are always willing to give advice and they always try and help the customer. Although I've bought elsewhere and online, I'll always give them my custom first. Prices are very competitive but I don't mind paying more than I can find online.

Just a big thumbs up for a brilliant shop and brilliant people.

Spot on. Been going there for the last year - mostly to con them out of their excellent advice. Really could not fault this shop nor the people in it.Their prices are as competitive as I have seen but their advice is priceless. Many of my brews have turned out better by listening to them!

Latest posts

Back