Grain prices creeping up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's started. Malt prices are beginning to creep up, or leap up depending on supplier. Best deal is still Minch Malt at £24 a sack, but even Bestmalz from THBC has taken quite a hike. Anybody else picking up on this? Things are not looking good and winter's coming.t this
Got this email from THBC yesterday, and in spite of what they say, there's been a fair hike. THBC are still, by far, the best of the lot, though, even more so when delivery is factored in.

We have just received a fresh container of Bestmalz, landed yesterday from Germany. We were able to secure this before the much-anticipated grain price rise. We have kept the prices as close to what they were with very few increases. Load up while its here as it won’t last long!

Last edited:
Grain prices are set a year ahead. I am not sure at what time of year though. Doubt it will be food for brewers. My GEB arrived today so j am sorted for a while.

Maybe I should buy an another 200kg...
That's only 8 sacks. If you've got room to store it in perfect dryness, it'd be a good investment. Just taken delivery of a sack of MOLO and now my bins are full to bursting. Should keep me going a couple of years and I hope things will have sorted themselves out by then.

That's only 8 sacks. If you've got room to store it in perfect dryness, it'd be a good investment. Just taken delivery of a sack of MOLO and now my bins are full to bursting. Should keep me going a couple of years and I hope things will have sorted themselves out by then.
My place is very dry luckily. I've just checked Brewers Select's prices, they're pretty much the same, well you have to get there, and you have to order that much to make the journey worthwhile, everyone can do the maths.

My place is very dry luckily. I've just checked Brewers Select's prices, they're pretty much the same, well you have to get there, and you have to order that much to make the journey worthwhile, everyone can do the maths.
I hadn't come across Brewer's Select. They refer to delivery, but don't seem to offer mail order facilities. Their malt prices look really good, on the one hand, while their hops are quite old for many varieties. I'm not sure I'd want to use 2017 cascade, for example. Nevertheless, I'll give then a call tomorrow and see what they're about. Thanks for the tip.

I hadn't come across Brewer's Select. They refer to delivery, but don't seem to offer mail order facilities. Their malt prices look really good, on the one hand, while their hops are quite old for many varieties. I'm not sure I'd want to use 2017 cascade, for example. Nevertheless, I'll give then a call tomorrow and see what they're about. Thanks for the tip.

You're right I wouldn't use cascade from 2017 either, but my EKG from 2017 was a very good deal.

On the subject of rising prices, here's an interesting article. I conclude they're taking the small-ale, by the way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...up-to-match-rising-energy-bills-b2266829.html
I think this is just more publicity from Brewdog (they have a better marketing department than a brewing department).

Yes, energy costs have shot up, but that is not the only cost of a brewery. Ingredients, staff, transportation all cost a lot and it's both daft and disingenuous to put out stuff like this that makes it look as if the entire cost of production has gone up same ratio as the energy cost. Did they put out statements like this a decade ago when hop prices went through the roof? Nope!

Marketing ploy after all their recent bad press. There is no way prices have risen that fast, I hope he has not realised that brewery shares if on the market will drop dramatically if his figures are true, me thinks he has lost it.
Yes the prices have risen enough to effect some breweries sadly and they may fold but not to the extent he is suggesting.
Home brewing will always be pro-rata costs of commercial prices so will be more expensive but still well cheaper than the pint in your pub

Ive just seen the malt prices at The HBC and they've gone through the roof. I remember about 4 years ago 25kg base malt was 19 pounds and now is 40gbp. Luckily I placed an order about one month ago

Ive just seen the malt prices at The HBC and they've gone through the roof. I remember about 4 years ago 25kg base malt was 19 pounds and now is 40gbp. Luckily I placed an order about one month ago
That;s a ridiculous hike. They were £24 or £26 (can't remember which) last week. I can't believe that Irish malt has suddenly become more expensive than anybody else's. True the other suppliers' prices have inched up, but there are still cheaper options than Minch Malt. What's Shane playing at! He could at least offer an explanation.
Fortunately I have something like half a ton in stock.

That;s a ridiculous hike. They were £24 or £26 (can't remember which) last week. I can't believe that Irish malt has suddenly become more expensive than anybody else's. True the other suppliers' prices have inched up, but there are still cheaper options than Minch Malt. What's Shane playing at! He could at least offer an explanation.
Fortunately I have something like half a ton in stock.
I was going to email and ask the question. Checked my last order from the week before Christmas. 28 euro for a 25 kg sack, it's now 45 Euro. That's a massive hike

I was going to email and ask the question. Checked my last order from the week before Christmas. 28 euro for a 25 kg sack, it's now 45 Euro. That's a massive hike
I'm going to email, too. Strength on numbers. I really don't want to have to buy Château for English styles, but if needs must. €34 for 25 Kg for their Pilsner is quite a saving.

Back