Grain prices creeping up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why has it gone up from £24 to £40 a sack overnight? I don't blame the retailers for their grain prices even if I have issues with some of them elsewhere.
Because we’re getting bummed by them.

We all know how much a sack is when buying a couple of pallets of it. It’s on this thread.

Also, and I could be wrong here but doesn't most of that grain go to Africa and other parts of the world usually? Obviously more dificult to get ships out these days so they've allowed it into neighbouring countries rather than let it go to waste causing a bit of a glut in poland etc.

So why has it gone up from £24 to £40 a sack overnight? I don't blame the retailers for their grain prices even if I have issues with some of them elsewhere.

Am I right in suggesting that malt needs heat to be made? It is the energy companies that are the ones that are enjoying the price rises, including the Russian energy companies.
I was told, at the maltings, that the price had been held last year, which has now skipped from £17 to £26. And thats plus vat from the maltings, so after transport and retailed £42 is it that outrageous?

Plus, it takes a fair amount of fuel to transport all of the grain in large lorries to the maltings, then to the store, then to your door. And fuel cost a lot more over the last year too.

I'm sure the cost of energy and fuel have contributed to the price rises. The energy and fuel bosses and shareholders are the winners here. Those countries who blew up Nordstream 2 (my money is on the USA here) have cost us dearly.

I'm sure the cost of energy and fuel have contributed to the price rises. The energy and fuel bosses and shareholders are the winners here.
It's the owners of gas fields that are the big winners - like Norway and Russia

Those countries who blew up Nordstream 2 (my money is on the USA here) have cost us dearly.
Nonsense - the gas price has been falling ever since Nordstream was blown up. And no, it wasn't the US that blew it up - Seymour Hersch's conspiracy theory has been comprehensively debunked. Russia had the means to do it and the most to gain from Nordstream being blown up - Putin wanted to keep the economic pressure on Germany but couldn't stop supplying gas as then Russia is liable for £ billions of penalties, whereas if the pipeline is not available, then there's no penalties to pay.

1681912346085.png

It's the owners of gas fields that are the big winners - like Norway and Russia

Nonsense - the gas price has been falling ever since Nordstream was blown up. And no, it wasn't the US that blew it up - Seymour Hersch's conspiracy theory has been comprehensively debunked. Russia had the means to do it and the most to gain from Nordstream being blown up - Putin wanted to keep the economic pressure on Germany but couldn't stop supplying gas as then Russia is liable for £ billions of penalties, whereas if the pipeline is not available, then there's no penalties to pay.

View attachment 84619

Makes kits more attractive from a cost perspective. I don't brew for the cost savings but I haven't bought grain in quite a while but been doing kits just to keep myself busy. The price has gone up a little like everything else but it's only a quid or two on 23L.

Back