Grains - when to grind

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinm

Reaction score
Im a bit of a brewing newbie and want to include about 1.5 Kg medium roasted grains to a 40 Pint Yorkshire Bitter kit to try and enhance the flavour (hops too, but im OK with that bit).
My question is this;
if I steep the grains in 15 litres of water at 68 deg C before removing them and then boiling the wort, is there any point that I need to crush them to help release all of the natural starches, or will this just soak out into the wort from the full grain kernel?
Do I have to grind them before the "mash?" stage..... I may be a bit confused on terminology here :(

obviously those grain grinders have their use in brewing, but when?
If there is a thread in existence explaining this in detail. a simple link would do.
many thanks and cheers,
Kevin

ManseMasher,
Thanks, thats an excellent article, tells me everything i need to know. By the way, I am from Yorkshire but in Indonesia for 12 yrs now.

cheers,
kevin

hiya clibit,
Sorry, i mean medium toasted malt grains. i think its called "victory"

cheers,
kevin

Victory malt isn't added in large quantities, it's used to boost maltiness in a beer, and it is advised to restrict it to 5 - 15% of the grain in an all grain beer. So you are looking at around 200g to 750g in a 5 gallon brew.

Get some pale malt and mash it together with about 400g/14oz of the Victory.

Victory malt isn't added in large quantities, it's used to boost maltiness in a beer, and it is advised to restrict it to 5 - 15% of the grain in an all grain beer. So you are looking at around 200g to 750g in a 5 gallon brew.

Get some pale malt and mash it together with about 400g/14oz of the Victory.

Question: Do you always need some base malt to ensure the enzymatic reactions happen or does it depend on which specialty malts you are using?

Certain grains need to have base malt mashed with them, some don't. Crystal, chocolate, roast barley and black don't - they can be steeped separately. And some others, like Cara- malts (which are German/Belgian crystal malts), This chart tells you which malts need mashing and which don't.

http://beersmith.com/grain-list/

Certain grains need to have base malt mashed with them, some don't. Crystal, chocolate, roast barley and black don't - they can be steeped separately. And some others, like Cara- malts (which are German/Belgian crystal malts), This chart tells you which malts need mashing and which don't.

Good link :-)

tip top
good reference link,
thanks

Latest posts

Back