Granarian's Best Bitter!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granarian

Reaction score
Had a brew day today, which was a modified version of a Harvey's clone.

Aiming for a 20L length

FERMENTABLES:
3.5 kg, Maris Otter Pale Malt
272 g, Crystal Malt
216 g, Flaked Maize

MASH ≈ 12L of water into the grain for 67°C 60 minutes 8L collected

BATCH SPARGE ≈ 171°F/77°C evaporation 16L collected for 24L of wort in total

BOIL - 90 minutes

HOPS:
26 g, Progress, ≈6.65% AA, 60 minutes
26 g, Bramling Cross, ≈6.66% AA, 20 minutes
15 g, Fuggles, ≈4.91% AA, at flame-out, steep until cooled
15 g, Goldings, ≈4.09% AA, at flame-out, steep until cooled

STEEPED all hops for 15 minutes before chilling, transfer to fermentor, aerate, then pitch.

YEAST: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

STATS: (assuming ≈75% mash efficiency and 76% yeast attenuation)
OG: Target: 1041 Achieved: 1050
FG: 1010
ABV: 4.0% [5.4%]
TARGET IBU: 35
TARGET COLOUR: 9°SRM/18°EBC, light amber

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Yeah, not sure what's going on with the OG - or even whether that's a good thing?! Presumably means higher ABV when all done? Looks good in the FV!

Yes ABV around 5% rather than 4%. Your efficiency must have been very high, assuming your gravity reading is accurate.

I took the OG reading as 1044, but at about 37 degrees, so used the HBF calculator to normalise it. Would doing a batch spare make any difference? I just ran 16 litres of water straight through after I'd drained the initial 8 litres of sweet wort.

A sparge will increase efficiency but if 1040 was based on 75% then 1050 seems pretty remarkable!

Implied efficiency is more like 85%! Only my second go at this; is that unusually high?

I'm sure it's just beginner's luck; for my education, what factors influence efficiency?

Final gravity 1012 today; safely in the barrel with 60g of sugar. Won't make the mistake of last time and start drinking too early! Will leave there for a good month +

Very pleased with this; really good taste, similar to Harvey's, not quite there. Quite gassy, so have had to let the pressure out of the barrel. But a nice pint!!!

Very pleased with this; really good taste, similar to Harvey's, not quite there. Quite gassy, so have had to let the pressure out of the barrel. But a nice pint!!!

I'm sure the yeast being different means you won't get that close to the real thing, but it sounds like you have a great, fairly similar beer nonetheless. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back