Greg Hughes Dry Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Difficult to work these things out. Maybe the vial of yeast was a bit out of condition. Did you make a yeast starter?
I made a 1 litre starter at around 1.040 and it was nice and active when I pitched. So maybe it's just one of those things. There will be beer at the end and it's tasting good, which is the main thing.

Yeah, who knows? Maybe the high mash temp at the start is a factor. I did a stout recently that I mashed in at 68, instead of the planned 66, couldn't be bothered to adjust cos I knew it would drop a bit. It dropped to 66, and I got an FG of 1015. Annoyed with myself, I like my dry stouts to be dry! However, it's still seems to be working out to be a nice beer.

Yeah, who knows? Maybe the high mash temp at the start is a factor. I did a stout recently that I mashed in at 68, instead of the planned 66, couldn't be bothered to adjust cos I knew it would drop a bit. It dropped to 66, and I got an FG of 1015. Annoyed with myself, I like my dry stouts to be dry! However, it's still seems to be working out to be a nice beer.

I guess when the bottles opened, all that really matters is the Beer tastes good, so I'm hoping that's the case with this one.

Popped the first bottle of this tonight, after 2 weeks in the bottle.

I can't quite believe this is so good at this stage. I was worried it might be a bit under carbonated, but clearly not. The taste is fantastic! Just a hint of roast, a hint of coffee (I'm not a huge fan of coffee in Stout, but this works well). Pitch black in colour. I'm quite happy it came in under strength as it's a fantastic quaffer! I'm very pleased with this at first taste.

20151212_195334.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well done. :thumb:

My latest GHDS, which I'm making my way through the batch currently, tastes very different from the batch before. Even though I used the same ingedients and yeast (apart from the bittering hops but I don't expect them to have made that much difference between the two batches)

The batch I'm drinking now has more of a coffee tastes but the batch before that had non of that and tasted more 'clean' and roasty with a big fruity aroma which the batch I'm drinking now doesn't have. Quite odd. The only thing I can think is that I fermented them at different temps as I free fermented them.

Well done. :thumb:

My latest GHDS, which I'm making my way through the batch currently, tastes very different from the batch before. Even though I used the same ingedients and yeast (apart from the bittering hops but I don't expect them to have made that much difference between the two batches)

The batch I'm drinking now has more of a coffee tastes but the batch before that had non of that and tasted more 'clean' and roasty with a big fruity aroma which the batch I'm drinking now doesn't have. Quite odd. The only thing I can think is that I fermented them at different temps as I free fermented them.

Very interesting observations, here, MyQul. Is the current batch likely to develop the tastes of the last one, do you think? I would have thought that the lower temps of November 2015 would have been helpful for brewing on the whole.

All my disappointing brews have been done in the Summer. Too high an initial ferment and too lazy a yeast = Very gassy, slightly disappointing beer in the late Autumn and early Winter.

Very interesting observations, here, MyQul. Is the current batch likely to develop the tastes of the last one, do you think? I would have thought that the lower temps of November 2015 would have been helpful for brewing on the whole.

All my disappointing brews have been done in the Summer. Too high an initial ferment and too lazy a yeast = Very gassy, slightly disappointing beer in the late Autumn and early Winter.

No, I don't think the taste will develop as the current batch is now 6 weeks conditioned and it just seems to be getting more rounded rather than tasting like the first batch.

On both batches I used mauribrew 514 which has a high temp tolerance (32C) and t both batches were brewed in Oct which sounds like it would be fine for brewing but my brewing corner of the kitchen was about 22C/23C iirc (perhaps higher) and is still the same now even though were in Dec,although tonight I put my first brew into my new Cool Brewing Fermentation Bag and used liquid yeast for the first time. I'm hoping to keep the temp at 19C/20C.

The are a whole load of Stouts and porters in Gregs book and I intend to do a season of them in the new year...looking forward to trying out all the different types!

Latest posts

Back